Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pacifier use

Default pacifier use

I really want my 8 m/o to stop using the soother. There are times when he will only nurse 2 minutes and then cry until I put his soother in (will not latch back on). He has gone hours without nursing (latches for a minute, comes off crying and wont latch on. Cried until i put his soother in). I had OALD the first few months so whenever he nursed he would sputter and choke. I think that is why the lack of comfort nursing. I just dont like artificial nipples or soothers. We've gone through at least 5 packages of soothers because we lose them. I hope I dont get flamed for wanting to wean him from the soother but i just dont want him to wean early and i want him to be comforted by himself or by me....ot a piece of plastic. Any advice???

Default Re: pacifier use

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to offer some support. I am currently trying to wean my 3 YEAR OLD off his paci and it is TOUGH. Good for you for getting started on it early. I hope that you get some good advice.

Default Re: pacifier use

I can tell you what my aunt did to wean her daughter from the breast and you can use the same concept, but for the record I'm not giving this idea for weaning purposes, I think that it was kind of cruel, but a bit funny. She put mustard on her nipples, at least her daughter was almost two, and supposedly she needed to stop b/c she was going to be injected with something that wasn't compatible with BF. Anyway, mustard is probably too strong for a baby under one, maybe putting something that he doesn't like on the soother so he can associate that with. I know that when I was a teenager and following the example of my elders I would it rub garlic or something like that on the soothers or fingers of my little cousins so they wouldn't want them, I know it was kind of mean but seeing a 4 or 5 YO sucking on their fingers or soothers really got on my nerves back then, and it also worked, at least for the day.