Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Angry boy, Sad Mama--I was sick--will my supply ever come back?

Default Angry boy, Sad Mama--I was sick--will my supply ever come back?

I am having BM supply problems after being sick and am worried--will my supply come back or will I be forced to wean before my son and I are ready?

The circumstances: First our 15 month old was terribly sick with vomiting for 7 hrs on and off, and some diarrhea. Poor sweetie! It was so heart-wrenching to watch how scary and painful for him...The next day I had to pump b/c, although he was nursing, he wasn't as hungry as usual (naturally) and after several smaller feedings during the day my breasts were starting to hurt. 48 hrs later my husband and I simultaneously came down with the same bug our little guy had (was a horrible night where we took turns caring for our son when he woke to find us violently retching).

My stomach has been tender in the less-than-48 hrs since then, but I have been drinking as much as I can, even when solids haven't been so easy. After a day of very gentle eating, I even forced myself to eat when I didn't want to to make more milk. But even with the drinking and eating, my supply isn't coming back very well. I tried some lactation tea tonight--we'll see if that helps.

My guy is used to nursing during the day when we are together and at night. He is angry/frustrated when nursing (every few hours or more, since he is not satisfied) and clingy and timid (usually he is an explorer and quite confident). At night he is outraged that there is little milk to soothe him to sleep and when he wakes in the middle of the night. (yes, he still nurses at night--but that's for another post)...Although he normally eats solids with gusto, he is refusing a lot of foods day and night, which may still be due to a tender belly, too. At night it is extra-hard b/c we need to calm him down first and then attempt to feed him the food he is passionately against instead of his preferred peaceful-roll-over-and-there's-the-boob experience. I think combined with the disturbance of us all being so sick and his own vomiting, he is very unsettled and finds his source of comfort gone when he really needs it, as well as a favored food supply.

I am upset too! I feel like a breastmilk failure when I feel his anger and sadness and desire and I cannot give him what he needs and is used to. I wanted to wean slowly, when he and I could cut back intentionally, one meal at a time, not like this! I am worried that as his attempted sucking gets less and less focused and more frustrated, there will be less stimulation and that will mean less milk. Am I just being impatient or is it likely that my milk will come back? (it has been 2 days since normal supply) Help?!

Default Re: Angry boy, Sad Mama--I was sick--will my supply ever come back?

Please don't feel lke a failure!
    First of all, these stomach bugs take some time before your body recovers. Could be a week or more before normal appitites return.
    In my experiance your supply WILL return!!! Try to relax, do the best you can. You weren't out of commission for a couple of months or anything extreme like that! Mine was even back to normal after being away for a 3 day weekend.

And don't sweat the feeding in the night thing, my 3 year old STILL takes bf in the night.

HANG IN THERE!!!

as pp has said your body will take a little while to recover but you will get there. just keep feeding on demand... and pumping if you feel it would help. Drink plenty of fluids and eat healthy foods little and often until your appetite returns.

Hello and
    I hope you are all feeling better soon!
    Sickness is no fun, especially when everyone is involved all at once.
    Your milk is the best thing for your little one. It's full of antibodies to the specific illness you have. Tucking everyone into bed as much as possible will help you rest and recover.
    Drinking plenty of fluids will help prevent dehydration. Often times, as soon as the mother starts to feel better, any dip in supply during the illness will build back up to normal.
    You're on the right track to let him nurse on-demand, day or night. Small frequent meals will be soothing for his belly and his nursing frequency should help to build up your supply.
    Let us know how it goes, OK? Hang in there,
    Mary

The same thing happened to us this winter. My supply did come back up, and yours will too. Just rehydrate, rest, and nurse often. Hope you all feel better soon.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    The same thing happened to us this winter. My supply did come back up, and yours will too. Just rehydrate, rest, and nurse often. Hope you all feel better soon.
    Same thing for me too! It WILL get better!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Totally normal during a bout of sickness. It's temporary, just keep nursing!

I have a 17 month old who nurses around 6 times a night or more.

We have been through the exact same thing when my son was 13 months old and since I got violently ill too my milk almost dried overnight. Next day, after eating and drinking normally and my son getting better and nursing it came back and within a week or so we were going like nothing happened in between. At 20 months he is still nursing (a lot!) and my supply is just fine.
    So don't worry, it'll get better.

Smile Re: Angry boy, Sad Mama--I was sick--will my supply ever come back?

Hello everybody. I was so stressed out when I started this thread (and my first time posting or reading these forums) I forgot to properly introduce myself! I am new around here, though my husband created a LLL leaders' community website, which is how I first learned about the great things that happen through LLL. My experience is just one such example.

Thanks to everybody for your kindhearted, soothing posts--it was really helpful to hear others' experiences and know that I am probably not headed for a sudden breastfeeding termination. I feel so much better having read these emails. As others also described, although still not normal, my supply has improved, as has my appetite (and my son's appetite has also improved so there is less pressure on me to feed him full meals). Especially since he doesn't "do" anything opaque in a bottle or sippy cup (aka milk) his solid food appetite is a great relief. I am also noticing his thin-looking face is starting to plump up again, just a wee bit. What a relief. And I now have hope that things will continue in the direction of more milk.

Again, thanks to everybody for helping me out at my most panicked moment.

Rootvegetable

It's SCARY!!! I know. :-)
    I'm glad that things are heading back in the right direction