Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often/much to feed?

Default How often/much to feed?

Hi ~ my son will be 6 months old next Wednesday & we started solids last Saturday. We started him on 1 tbs of cereal with bm mixed in. 2 days ago we started to give him some mashed bananas as well. He eats ALL of it & cries when it is all gone. Over the last day or 2 I increased his cereal to about 1.5 tbs. (His pedi told me to mix a couple of tbs with bm).

So, my question is ~ how much/often can I feed him? So far, he eats one (mini looking) banana mid-morning, & 1.5 Tbs. of rice cereal around 6 pm. Should/can I increase the cereal amount? Should I be mixing cereal with his am banana? I don't want to overload him or do too much too soon, but I wonder if I should be giving more ~ since he cries when it is all gone. (BTW, my son is BF & everyone says "they will tell you when they are done by pulling off" ~ my son isn't one to do that ~ since day 1 he will sit on my boob ALL day if I let him & will eat) So, that is why I don't want to over do it, so just wondering what is "normal" feeding size for a 6 month old.

Beth

Default Re: How often/much to feed?

So long as you are mking sure to nurse him before offering solids and also that he does not nuse less throughout the day due to eating solids, I think you are "safe" to let him eat what he wants in regards to amounts of solids. However, you also don't want to be bankrupting the family or sitting at his highchair for hours on end spoon feeding him. lol

Solids during the first year are not nutritionally needed, they are meant for fun and learning. So any amount of solids that he finds fun and learns about different tastes and textures is "enough". At that age, ds was eating about 2-3 tablespoons of solid foods in total (cereal, fruit, and veggie) in one day. I think many babies are actually eating a lot less, but ds always loved his solid foods!

you should offer him the breast after solids as well. Perhaps that will help with crying? I'm interested in what your saying about him eating all day if you let him? He doesn't fall asleep at your breast and pop off? Do you always have to detach him? Does he cry? He's not at the point yet where he gets distracted while eating?

Thank you! As for eating 2-3 Tbs per day ~ he is eating more than that! I hope that is okay... he eats 1.5 Tbs cereal in the evening & then a whole "mini" banana in the am (which I know probably totals more than 1-2 Tbs.). But he seems fine with it. I do offer him my breast before & sometimes after as well.

DJ's Mom ~ As for his crying, he stops once I tell him it is all gone & he exits the highchair/I pick him up. I just think that it is funny that he cries when he is done & I wonder if he should have been fed more (but I guess not).
    As for "eating all day" ~ what I meant was that if I left him on my breast ALL day ~ he would be more than fine with that. He doesn't fall asleep too often at the breast & if he does he will come right back on. He is at the point of distractions & he will turn & look where ever & usually my nipple is in his mouth ~ sometimes he lets go (thankfully) & then right back on, and yes for the most part I do detach him & he doesn't cry & I KNOW that he has emptied the breast/is full. On the rear occassion that he does start to cry I put him back on for a few min. & then he is okay after that. I guess I just meant that my boobie is my son's best friend & if allowed they would always be attached Hope that makes better sense!?!?!?

Beth

If you think they're friends now just wait!!! Down in the section under extended brestfeeding and the one section(Not weaning the other one) there's a great thread called "Do you find it creepy when" some wonderful and FUNNY posts of mothers with toddlers. Made an extended believer out of me. DS is 6 &1/2 month and no signs of weaning in site. (Whew the pressure is lifted ) Except for a few pieces of watermelon, some yogurt and a little avacado we're exclusive & we both are fine with that. I admit that feeding him and watching his reaction to food is delightful....but I am glad I don't have the pressure of having to fix/schedule meals. I did just order a nursing necklace to deal with the distractions. I SUPER excited about that.

Let me know how the necklace works out for you with the distractions! My son has started to "pinch" me & his hands are all over me ~ in my eyes, my mouth, up my nose, etc. & he is scratching away at my neck. So, I am curious to see if that would help me out as well!

I actually just posted a question on the bf board about the self-weaning thing ~ which HOPEFULLY I will not have to worry about ~ but was just curious if he does self-wean what you would "feed" him ~ formula seems like an odd choice at that point ~ plus, I am not sure if he would even take to it.

Beth

I answered you over there I will let you know about the necklace as soon as I get it! I'm pretty sure it's gonna help. My son is right there too. I actually am getting a little upset about all the pain being inflicted upon me

Okay, I have to laugh at your guys' posts. My ds is also 6 1/2 mo old and he is doing all the same things: pinching, hands reaching for my eyes, nose, mouth, and he has this weird thing where he will rubb my other breast. That makes me feel weird, but I know he does not know what he is doing. I was looking into the nursing beads, because he keeps pulling on my expensive necklace and I don't ever remember to take it off before feeding him. Where did you get your beads from?

Thanks! I appreciate the response (over there, as well ). All this stuff is so new to me (obviously 1st time mom) & it doesn't ehlp that no one around me successfully bf. My SIL did ~ but that was 10 years ago so not much help. The reason I asked the self-wean question actually was b/c of her ~ she says she remembers my nephew self-weaning at about 10 months but doesn't remember the details, and my DH's co-worker said her son self-weaned at 9 months although she was VERY determined to BF. But who knows! The replies do ease my mind ~ I was actually considering to start "piling" my bm just in case ~ so I can give him bm through a bottle.

Cutiepie~ There are times that I wish it wasn't summer & I actually somewhat look forward to wearing turtlenecks to feed him So, I have to come up with something to try to keep his busy little hands occupied!

Beth