Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plugged nose

Default plugged nose

My little one is 11 weeks old and she has her first cold, besides being frustrated that i cant make it all dissapear for her she is having a hard time breathing and wont snuggle right now. Its affecting breastfeeding though, nomrally she eats once maybe twice during the night and she sleeps 12 hours, and then spends 90% of the day feeding. Since her nose is plugged she has been feeding most of the night and eating 2 to 4 times during the day and sleeping the rest of it, she also has to sleep sitting up in her swing because if she lays down she gags and coughs and cant breath. We took her to the doctors yesterday and he said it isnt an infection and there isnt anything much we can do for her, he told us to put one saline drop in each nostril to help clear her nose and i notice about 10 minutes after i give her the drops, excuse the word, snot comes pouring out of her nose and she is fine till i bring her to my breast to eat. Ive tried all the positions and nothing helps her eat, she can take two or three swallows then comes up for air and is really gassy, she is getting frustrated and i dont know how else to make it easier for her, but i dont want to put her on a bottle because i just got her used to my nipple again after having nipple confusion. I also have an air vaporizer going for her and am giving her baths in the evenings, keeping her cool and not letting the house get hot. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Default Re: plugged nose

Have you tried one of those nasal aspirator (nose sucker) things after putting the drops in? It sounds like you're doing everything else I would do, but maybe if you use the saline drops and them suction out her nose a bit the relief might last a little longer.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I had called the health link here and they told me not to use the suction ball on her nose because they are finding that it is damaging their noses and throats so they are discouraging use of it but i am cleaning the boogers out as they come to the front.
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

You can try breastmilk in the nose too, it works just like the saline but has all the good stuff in it.

Hope your little one is feeling better soon, this is really hard when they are so little.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    You can try breastmilk in the nose too, it works just like the saline but has all the good stuff in it.

Hope your little one is feeling better soon, this is really hard when they are so little.
    This is what I was coming to say! The breastmilk up the nose is a GREAT quick fix. In that it clears the nose right up so they can eat and they aren't nearly as offended when it drips down their throat as they are by saline. It's not a long lasting solution but pumped milk in a dropper up the nose is a great instant fix!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    This is what I was coming to say! The breastmilk up the nose is a GREAT quick fix. In that it clears the nose right up so they can eat and they aren't nearly as offended when it drips down their throat as they are by saline. It's not a long lasting solution but pumped milk in a dropper up the nose is a great instant fix!
    Great minds!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Cool Re: plugged nose

Here is a great list of all kinds of home remedies! Some you can't use because ur LO is only 11 weeks but some would be perfect for you!

http://www.indymoms.com/no_cold_meds..._home_remedies

HTH!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

You've got all my tricks written here. I noticed that you wrote that you gave her a bath. What about sitting with her in the bathroom for a steambath? Good job on only using the booger-sucker only when what you're getting out is in front. Some people don't know what damage those things can do.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post

I totally agree with this post, the ebm will break up those boogars and help baby get a good feeding

Thank you all, i dont know how to get any breast milk into her nose i cant seem to get any pumed or expressed. She is getting worse though she is coughing more and started to throw up alot of mucus this morning. but the good news is he snot is starting to run clear and be a yellow color instead of the green that was comming out. Hubby takes a hot shower in the am and the pm so ive been bringing her into the bathroom to sit in the steam. Hopefully this cold will run its course. And the now im starting to get it, hopefully ill get my usual sore throat and then the cold is gone, but if it doesnt is there anything safe for me to use while breast feeding her?