Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing one side at a time

Default nursing one side at a time

hi there...
    my 10 week old DS only nurses one side at a time. we switch every feeding. i was wondering how and when and if i'll know when he may want to nurse both sides each feeding...???

we went for his 2 month check up on thursday (late due to insurance) and he weighs 12lbs even and is 23 inches long! that seems great...then i compared to my daughter...she weighed less than him at birth and was shorter at birth, yet weighed 12lbs2oz and was 23.5inches at 8 weeks...she grew much faster but on the same stuff...is this a problem? should i be feeding him more? we feed totally on demand now...so it's not "every x hours"...its whenever he is interested!

ok....
    thanks

Default Re: nursing one side at a time

I don't think you ever have to start doing both sides unless he seems hungry after the first side. I have a 12 month old and she almost always only takes one side. As far as the weight, babies are all so different. I wouldn't worry about it unless he's really not gaining well. With only taking one side, he should be getting more high fat hindmilk instead of the lower fat (less calories) foremilk, so that would be a good thing!

Default Re: nursing one side at a time

thanks! i thought that was the case, but had the jitters that i may not be giving him enough! he is a chunky monkey though, so i should give up the worries!