Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very depressed and confused

Default Re: Very depressed and confused

It's 8pm here, do you think its to late to call the LC at home?

It sounds like you are really struggling. My LO had poor weight gain and I really struggled with supply. It is really stressful.

Did you get in touch with a leader?

Is your LO having enough wet diapers? Besides nursing frequently, are you doing anything to help increase the amount of milk your LO is getting?
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I left a message for the leader. No call back yet.

I am taking domperidone right now to help.

I stopped the fenugreek and blessed thistle cuz I read somewhere it can lose its effectiveness, so to stop for a week or so and start again. I am also starting the barley water tonight in hopes of that helping.

She has enough wet diapers because she gets supplemented also. If I dont supplement her output is borderline low

I remember when I was doing everything I could and my LO still wasn't getting enough BM. It is so frustrating. We supplemented too.

I hope you can get IRL help soon. Also, I know of a BFing support group run by an IBCLC if you are in central mass. I know in my area the LLL meetings are not held frequently. Feel free to pm me for the info if you are interested.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

The peditricians office called me this morning to tell me to make sure im giving bm and formula mixed and to make sure she is full to the point where she refuses the bottle.. Can't I overfeed her this way??

Then the LC calls me to tell me the pediatrician told her not to put the baby to the breast for atleast 2 weeks? Come on now, how come I do not see this as a resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Irsheyez76 View Post
    The peditricians office called me this morning to tell me to make sure im giving bm and formula mixed and to make sure she is full to the point where she refuses the bottle.. Can't I overfeed her this way??

Then the LC calls me to tell me the pediatrician told her not to put the baby to the breast for atleast 2 weeks? Come on now, how come I do not see this as a resolution?
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this issue. Bottle fed babies can, indeed, over eat since many times they finish a bottle to satisfy their sucking needs not b/c they are hungry.

I'm not sure why the pedi's office has suggested that you mix the BM and formula. I would think the best idea would be to offer the breast/expressed BM first and then follow it up with offering formula, if it's warranted, seperately.

Did they give you a reason not to BF your LO for 2 weeks? Is is b/c of the spit up/reflux/dairy issues? There are other things you can try, if you haven't already, before resorting to not offering the breast. I don't see how this would resolve anything, either.

Have you sought a 2nd opinion?
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

They want to know exactly what she is taking in. Honestly, it will probably be hard to get a second opinion. All these pedi's around here cover for each other. I am still waiting on the LLL leader to return my call too. (

Quote Originally Posted by Irsheyez76 View Post
    They want to know exactly what she is taking in. Honestly, it will probably be hard to get a second opinion. All these pedi's around here cover for each other. I am still waiting on the LLL leader to return my call too. (
    Even if they want to know exactly how much she is consuming, I would still offer straight BM first. 1oz BM = 1oz formula. KWIM?
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I know, I agree. Only difference is. They will take more formula. That will always increase, whereas Im told BM changes to fit what the baby neeeds and formula doesnt. I just fear if I keep upping the formula I will never be able to provide enough.

I would strongly encourage you to seek a second opinion...maybe a pediatrician outside of your current practice, or a family practice doctor?

If baby does need to be supplemented with formula, it can be done with an SNS/lact-aid to keep your milk supply up. Quitting breastfeeding for 2 full weeks would be disasterous to your milk supply.

If baby is satisfied after feedings, and diaper output has been "almost" okay, there may be a physical cause for your daughter's slow weight gain that has absolutely nothing to do with your milk. It is important that she be tested for these kinds of health problems, because some of them can be quite serious. Again, please seek a second opinion as soon as possible.

Hang in there!

Tiana