Thread: Very depressed and confused

Default Re: Very depressed and confused

I just got my lab results back.

My TSH is 1.55
    Prolactin 278.5

YAY! (I think)

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm so sorry you're having problems. Just thinking outside the box here for a second: I read somewhere that some babies are actually allergic to the DHA they put in formula. It's in there to make it more like breastmilk (it's the good fats that help with brain development). It's fine in actual breastmilk but as a supplement in formula, it can cause problems. I don't think it's that common but you never know.

Also, word of warning re fenugreek, it can give some babies upset tummies.

Best of luck to you and your LO!

I'd encourage you, as well to get another opinion... have her checked but dont not nurse that baby for 2 weeks.. as Tiana said thats a disaster waiting to happen... :keep us posted.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

update:

She gained 17oz in 8 days!!!!! Hmm.. Now something tells me something is off. I really didn't change much of what I was doing. If I break down her weight gain into 4 weeks, she gained a total of 21oz. That is normal, isn't it? She only gained 4oz in one week, then gained 17. I don't know.. the doctor doesn't really know what did it. He is just happy she gained. So I have been told to feed her 10 min each side, then supplement if needed, then pump to increase my supply. I am currently sick, so I am sure it's gonna drop even more.

That is some serious rocking news!

So it sounds like more bf and less pumping to me. But I am boring you by repeating myself.
    Your daughter is perfectly capable of removing all the milk you have way more effectively than you can imagine. Trust your body!

I'm glad she gained. I can try and tell you what I did if you want (though I'm no sucess story, but it might help you cope some). My dd weighed a whopping 9#13oz at her 4 mos appt, after weighing 7#2oz at birth. I would question a DR who is calling a 2mos old baby FTT w/out trying to help mom first. Our DR has never mentioned that for either of my tiny (under the chart at times) kids. She did reccomend supplementing after nursing if Ilana would take it, if not, don't worry. She ended up gaining a # in a week! It was a very sad and very happy moment at the same time, I'm sure you understand. Some things w/ Ilana were she had a very weak suck which translated to crappy nursing and crappy sucking from a bottle too. She was also a happy to starve baby, she didn't really care if she was hungry, she never cried about it which was translating to me 'she's getting enough to eat'. I took herbs, worked w/ a hospital grade pump, let her nurse as much as she wanted and supplemented w/ formula and anything I pumped. We never made it to 100% bfing, but I've never been able to do it w/ any of my kids. Statistics are on your side that you can though, just keep trying! Another big thing that was reccomended was use a bottle that makes her work. We used the Playtex Ventaire standard ones b/c if you hold it upside down, nothing comes out. This helps keep them from preferring the bottle.

ETA: If you want help trying to eliminate from your diet, check the allergies board. All of mine have been at least milk/soy intolerant.
    Last edited by thepeach80; March 28th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)