Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very depressed and confused

Default Very depressed and confused

Well my daughter had her 2 month check up today. They have labeled her failure to thrive. She only gained 4 ounces in 3 weeks. She grew no inches, her head grew a tad the nurse said. I am now being told to supplement her 50% formula, 50% breastmilk and to up her ounces. She always seemed content after 3, but I was told that if they are use to getting 3oz, that is what they will drink, but it will not put enough weight on.

I feel now that they want me to increase her formula intake that I will not be able to get my supply to where I will be able to provide enough milk for her. I was so determined to do this this time around and I find myself back where I was with my last baby.

My husband says he doesnt blame me for her problem, but I can't help blame myself. As if I was keeping her at the 3oz because I was so close to having that amount and I caused her to not gain any weight. If she doesnt have enough weight gain by next appointment (The 28th) he wants to run some tests. Im not sure if this is my fault or if there is something actually wrong. Ofcourse this stress isnt going to help me, but I don't know what else I can do.

Default Re: Very depressed and confused

What has her weight gain been like... Brith weight, lowest weight and weights after ???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

1-17 (birth) 7lbs 12oz
    1-20 7lbs 0oz
    1-22 7lbs 2oz
    2-1 7lbs 5oz
    2-19 8lbs 5oz
    2-29 8lbs 11oz
    3-20 8lbs 15oz

Gosh - I'm sorry you're having a tough time with the doc - I remember giving you some links in another thread Have you been in touch with a local leader or Helpful LC or even an IBCLC??

How ofetn does she go to the breast in a 24 hour period?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She nurses every 1-2 hours. I know she is still hungry afterwards or so it seems. I keep switching sides and I do that for an hour sometimes 2. I just read that link Andrea put up, we have been dealing with thrush for 7 weeks. That can cause a slow weight gain? I am going to be calling my local LLL leader after I am done pumping. I need to go hide in another room my house is kinda loud.

I did buy some Enfamil Gentlease to see if that might help with her fussiness too. Anything is worth a shot at this point.

Let us know what the leader says I wouldn't worry

Is reflux a possibility for her?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

On the 29th she went in and they found microscopic traces of blood in her stool. He said it could be a milk allergy or reflux. He put her on Zantac, and he switched her to Prilosec today.

Have you eliminated dairy from your diet in light of that result?
    Was she having lots of spit ups or other reflux symptoms?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I never had much dairy, so I just stopped my once a week glass of milk.

She started spitting up alot in volume and frequency, that is the reason I took her to the doctors.