Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Baby sleeping longer

Default Help! Baby sleeping longer

Hi gals
    So my baby is almost 3 months old. She is finally starting to sleep longer at night. Up until now I could depend on her to wake me up every 3-4 hours to nurse. However, now that she's sleeping longer, I am confused about what to do so I don't jeopardize my milk supply....Should I wake her up to nurse, or should I pump in the middle of the night? When can I start to sleep for longer periods without risking my milk supply? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Last edited by missourigal; March 20th, 2008 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: Help! Baby sleeping longer

i wouldn't wake her. get some sleep as she's sleeping. your supply should stay in tact in you're feeding on demand. her body will tell you how much she needs.

GET YOUR SLEEP!!! lol... No really though, if baby is sleeping you should take advantage. Like the other post says... if you are letting your LO feed on demand your supply should meet the demand. Be sure to let your LO suckle as much as needed because that helps stimulate milk production. Make sure you are drinking lots of water & getting enough calories. You should be fine!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

If baby is suddenly sleeping twice as much as before, you might want to consider pumping for only a week or so reducing the amount pumped each night. This way you won't get clogged ducts. Your supply should stay in tact and adjust to the new demand. After you wean your breasts of the night feed(s) you should take advantage of the extra shut eye! Enjoy!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I'd pump. Baby is at the age where two things are going on. First, although she is sleeping nicely now, it is very common that this will change as she suddenly becomes keenly aware of her surroundings. Second, from now until she starts taking solid food pretty regularly, she takes in the biggies volume of bm daily that she will ever take. Seeing a dip in supply may cause some frustration that you can side-step. Besides, won't it be nice to have a backstock of bm so you can go get your toes rubbed?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!