Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brown rice for 8 month old

Default Brown rice for 8 month old

Hi all.....just came to know about this forum from one of my frn and found it very informative....so wanted to shoot a burning doubt that I have....I am thinking of starting brown rice (not brown rice cereal) for my 8 month old baby and wondering if I can do that. I have heard different opinions on it such as its more nutritive than white rice, but can't be easily digested at this age.....on the other hand a few say that its the best diet that can be given. Please share ur opinions on this and do let me know if any of your kids are having brown rice....thanks a bunch!

Default Re: Brown rice for 8 month old

I'll be curious to hear your responses as I've wondered the same thing. When in doubt, I wait to offer. As far as grains, I offered wheat bread around 8 mo. and then panicked because I wasn't sure if I should have, and the ped. told me it was good to offer wheat instead of white because they need to develop a taste for wheat bread. I plan on starting pasta this week, just little rotinis or somethig. As far as brown rice, I am thinking it is fine but no harm in waiting a few more weeks until my lo is 10 months old, as that puts him into a new category of what I can give him (per my hospital's handout).
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for sharing your ideas....I totally accept with your "When in doubt, wait to offer" rule...I follow the same rule too....pasta, wheat is a great option...let me try that....Thanks..

I've just done brown rice with DS who's almost 9 mo, and it wasn't his first food. I was advised to give him sweet brown rice or short grain brown rice (but I can't remember exactally why short grain rice instead of long). I ground up the rice into a fine powder in the blender and then cooked it up like rice cereal. Keep the ground up rice in the fridge so the nutrients aren't depleated.

Wholesomebabyfood.com is the best site for introducing solids. This is their page on Brown Rice which includes how to cook up the rice powder.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

If you want to serve the rice as a grain (not grinding it up), you may want to overcook it (until the grains are slightly split). I found out that when I didn't overcook the rice, it would go straight through my DD. Great for keeping them regular, but not very nutritious
    Shilpa, WAHM to

Luisa: 21st September 2005
    and
    Leo: 2nd August 2007

Thanks Mellie and Shilpa for your suggestions....I loved the wholesomebabyfood website.....very informative....will try out the brown rice cereal option to start with......thanks a bunch!!

Evan has had brown rice since about 8 mos or so, we get the short grain brown rice and cook according to instructions and I never see it come out whole on the other end...and a plus to the short grain is that it's sticky like sushi rice and is easy for him to shove in his mouth.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR