Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions- please help

Smile Re: A few questions- please help

So exciting!! On Wednesday we checked her weight and it had gone down 1.5 oz in 2 days so the public health nurse was a little concerned with whether she was getting enough. She came back today and she gained 3.5 ounces in 2 days!! So it is working and she is getting enough! I feel so relieved and like I accomplished something!!

Thank you all so much for your support! I went from feeling like giving up to listening to all of you and feeling like I can do it!! You are all awesome!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: A few questions- please help

No, you are awesome ! Keep up the good work!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

GOOD JOB MAMA All of the moms here are great support! (I don't really have much at home either) The best thing you can do is EXACTLY what you are doing - keep it up

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Just an update, things are going REALLY well!! Thanks to everyone's advice I just kept trying and we have been doing awesome!!

Just a few ?s....

I have been nursing on one side each time and then the other side the following time to even out my overactive let down. It seems like she isn't gulping anymore, and she can handle it now!! But do I start doing both sides at any point or just continue to nurse just one side? Once she is done on that one side, she has no interest in the other side. Is that ok? Or should I be pushing the other side 2??

and

It hurts when she latches on still, but then it goes away after a few seconds. Is she latching on wrong? Or do my nipples just need to toughen still?? I don't mind the pain, it isn't awful. But I just want to fix it if we are doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    Just an update, things are going REALLY well!! Thanks to everyone's advice I just kept trying and we have been doing awesome!!

Just a few ?s....

I have been nursing on one side each time and then the other side the following time to even out my overactive let down. It seems like she isn't gulping anymore, and she can handle it now!! But do I start doing both sides at any point or just continue to nurse just one side? Once she is done on that one side, she has no interest in the other side. Is that ok? Or should I be pushing the other side 2??
    It's okay if she doesn't want the second side.

and

It hurts when she latches on still, but then it goes away after a few seconds. Is she latching on wrong? Or do my nipples just need to toughen still?? I don't mind the pain, it isn't awful. But I just want to fix it if we are doing something wrong.

Thanks!
    It's probably a good idea to double-check your latch and positioning, although mild temporary discomfort might just be from the nipple/areola stretching as the baby sucks.

The soreness caused by poor latching and ineffective suckling hurts most as you latch the baby on and usually improves as the baby nurses. --from Sore Nipples
    There are latching pointers in that quoted link above, and illustrations and instructions here:

When Latching

Baby should take a BIG mouthful of nipple AND areola, baby should be covering more of the areola with his lower lip than his upper lip (asymmetrical latch), baby's chin should be firmly against the breast, nose should be free without mom having to move breast tissue away. As for positioning, you should be tummy to tummy with the baby pretty much looking straight ahead. Baby's head can be tilted slightly back but should not be tilted forward. Imagine trying to take a drink of water if your chin is pointed down toward your chest or your head is turned to the side. It's hard to swallow that way.

Hope that helps!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Hey mama... so glad to hear things are going well!!! So proud of you for sticking with it!!

Agree with the pp that you should double-check your latch to make sure everything looks right... But from personal experience, I can tell you that when we first started, it would REALLY hurt for about 3-5 seconds when DD first latched on (and I would cringe and make funny faces while DH laughed his head off...) but then it would stop hurting during that feed. After about 7 weeks, it didn't hurt at all, in fact I could barely feel it once she was latched on. Maybe it didn't take other mama's nips that long to stop hurting, but that's how long it took for me...

If your babe seems satisfied after feeding off just one side, in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to gently offer the other side... if she drinks more, that's fine, if not, that's fine too... you can always come back to it later. For us, from the very beginning once DD was done feeding, she was DONE! Even if I offered, there was no convincing her to drink anymore, but that's just us... To this day that is how she feeds...

Anyway, just wanted to say WAY TO GO and KEEP UP ALL THE HARD WORK!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.