Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions- please help

Unhappy A few questions- please help

Hi,

I am new to this but I am trying really hard to not give up on nursing my 3 week old. I got extremely frustrated at first and began exclusively pumping and giving bottles; now I am back to nursing but I feel like I am not really getting the help I need from the people around.

My daughter nurses well on the first side for 3-5 minutes and then pulls her head back and screams. I try to put her back on and she will latch and after a few sucks pull off and scream again. I burp her and she usually falls asleep and wants nothing to do with the other side. Sometimes it seems like she is so hungry, but after latching on for a few sucks she just screams and screams.

I have a very fast let down and she is usually gulping and sometimes choking on it at the very beginning. It seems like if I don't get her on perfect the first time milk is shooting in a steady stream all over her face and clothes!(Making her mad and both of us very wet!!) I don't know what I need to do or if what I am doing is right. I want to try hard to continue nursing, but I want to give her what she needs to be getting. Please help!!
    Last edited by danalynn724; March 20th, 2008 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: A few questions- please help

You've found the right place for breastfeeding support! I didn't have many supporters either and this site was a Godsend! It sounds like you have an Over Active Let Down (OALD). Hopefully this link can give you all the info you need http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html. I have heard that other moms with forceful letdowns pull their babies off after letting down and let the milk drip into a towel for a minute and then relatch the baby. Also, as your little one gets older she may learn to cope with this better and become more efficient at swallowing. Good luck and keep up the good work .
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by Seb's mommy View Post
    Also, as your little one gets older she may learn to cope with this better and become more efficient at swallowing.

This is what happened to us! Probably around 6 - 8 weeks or so. I also tried the nursing while reclining (from the link pp gave you) and the scissors hold and it seemed to help.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by danalynn724 View Post
    I am new to this but I am trying really hard to not give up on nursing my 3 week old. I got extremely frustrated at first and began exclusively pumping and giving bottles; now I am back to nursing but I feel like I am not really getting the help I need from the people around.
    I'm so sorry you're not getting good help. It can be so hard and overwhelming, taking care of a newborn, especially if you feel like you're going it alone. Give yourself a pat on the back for not giving up. That is awesome. Can you think of anyone in your life who might be able to come over and help, or just to talk? You could always look up the local LLL group, that's a great place to find support.

My daughter nurses well on the first side for 3-5 minutes and then pulls her head back and screams. I try to put her back on and she will latch and after a few sucks pull off and scream again. I burp her and she usually falls asleep and wants nothing to do with the other side. Sometimes it seems like she is so hungry, but after latching on for a few sucks she just screams and screams.

I have a very fast let down and she is usually gulping and sometimes choking on it at the very beginning. It seems like if I don't get her on perfect the first time milk is shooting in a steady stream all over her face and clothes!(Making her mad and both of us very wet!!) I don't know what I need to do or if what I am doing is right. I want to try hard to continue nursing, but I want to give her what she needs to be getting. Please help!!
    I agree that it does sound like OALD. But also, 3 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt and fussing at the breast is something that many babies will do during this time. It's very frustrating behavior, but will likely just pass on its own. I agree with the suggestion of unlatching and spraying into a towel. I had to do that for a while in the beginning. Here are a couple more links that might have useful information for you:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing-- what's the problem?

As endless as the problems seem right now, this time will pass. I went through a very difficult beginning and cried many days and swore that I wanted to quit. But I didn't. I just couldn't. And once I turned that corner I wanted to kiss the ground with gratitude that I'd held strong. You can really dislike what you're going through right now, and still end up with a very long, beautiful, wonderful nursing relationship. That part will come later even if breastfeeding seems nothing but hellish right now. On the flip side, I've seen many other mothers stop in the beginning only to bitterly regret that they gave up. There are literally support groups to help women deal with the psychological pain of it. Quitting might seem like the "easy" solution but it's not. Unfortunately you're really picking between hard and hard. One will last a few more weeks maybe. The other one might last a lifetime.

You can do it!!!! This is a great place to come to vent and ask questions, it's good you came, we're glad to have you.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

thank you guys so much! I already feel much better about it! I am going to try as much of this as I can!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

tell ya what - looking at her weight gain, you ARE doing it Keep it up
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

unfortunatly I cannot take complete credit for the weight gain! That week she was completely on pumped milk, so nursing may be a completely different story! But lets hope!! She will be weighed again today so we will see!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

It takes determination and patience to bf but the rewarding times do come. Just wait for your first relaxed fed when your lo is latched on and looks up at your face...or when she unlatches and gives you the most contented beautiful smile

It is worth it...you can do it

Hey mama, you're doing a great job! Even if her weight gain was while she was on pumped milk, it's still YOUR milk!! There are TONS of mamas on this site who (for one reason or another) exclusively pumped for their babies... You should be so proud of yourself for giving your daughter such a wonderful gift! Keep it up, and know that it DOES get soooo much easier... We had a very rough start too... breastfeeding didn't feel "easy" or "natural" (or painless) until DD was about 7-8 weeks old, but now I LOVE it so much. Sooo many times I cried and swore I was going to quit if things didn't get better, and guess what? It DID get better. I'm sooo glad I stuck with it, especially when it's the middle of the night and I don't have to get out of bed to make a bottle. Love that!!

Keep going, mama!! You can do it!!!

Buff
    Last edited by buff24; March 21st, 2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typos
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

If you aren't getting any support right there at home, you will get support here on to what many of us know as home away from home. It's a nice little spot and i agree with the PP, looking at her weight gain you're doing it mama..

You might try laying down on the bed and having the baby lay on top of you and nurse that way. Since the milk tends to spray down the back of her throat it may give her a chance to actually draw the milk out instead of it coming out of a fire hose. These things take time and as she gets older you both will get better at nursing.