Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply and thinking about supplementing

Exclamation Low milk supply and thinking about supplementing

I am a first time mom with a 2 month old who has been strictly breastfeeding so far. Last thursday I went to my PD for her two month checkup, here I find out that she is below average weight for a kid her age( she is 10 lbs 9 oz), the PD said that it was ok because she is in the 55th percentile for height but I can't seem to get out of my head that she needs to gain some more weight, I am afraid that she is not getting enough milk. I had some issues at the beginning of this whole bf process, but with help from my LC and reading these forums I was doing better, my milk supply is not the greatest though even though she is bf every two hours on the clock. I am taking my Fenugreeks 3x a day and I seem to not be producing a whole lot of milk. When I try pumping I hardly get 1oz, but I figured that maybe it's because she eats so often. I have been thinking about supplementing with fm and I sort of mentioned it to my PD and he said that it would be ok, but I can't help feeling guilty about it. what should I do? I want my baby to have a normal weight and I want people to stop commenting in the grocery about how little she is. How do I go about supplementing and not feeling so guilty about it ?
    Please Help !!

Default Re: Low milk supply and thinking about supplementing

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that BF has improved for you and that you have been successfully BF for 2 months now. First don't count on what you pump to be a good indicator of what the baby gets while nursing. Pumping just isn't as productive as a baby at the breast. Second, I don't know your baby's birthweight but an average weight gain is 4-6 oz per week for a BF baby. Here is a link to some info on weight gain from kellymom.com, not a LLL website but has really good info. Also the weight charts are an "average" for FF babies not BF babies. The best way to increase your supply is to nurse on demand, which it sounds like that is what you are doing. Keep up the good work and hang in there. Read the info on the link and try not to worry so much, especially if even your Ped. thinks the baby's weight is okay.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html

You could also have a LC consultant weigh the baby before and after you nurse to give you an idea of how much you are giving the baby.

As for the 'little' comments, my dd was 5lbs 13oz and those comments didn't stop until she was about 3 mo.

There doesn't sound like any reason to supplement to me at all! In fact if you do it will probably hurt your supply. Everything on those charts is considered "normal" and your almost dead center AND they are based on FF babies AND those charts come from baby food companies! Don't worry! If your baby has the right amount of "output" just know that she is developing at her 'Natural" rate. It sounds like she eats right and a baby is always way more efficient at emptying a breast than a pump!
    If you want to know what it's like to be at the TOP of the chart I can tell you, it no picnic either! Everyone expects your child be developmentally farther along than they are, everyone wants to tell you your kid is as big as thier one or two year old, their clothes need to be rotated in and out of thier drawers every 4-6weeks they outgrow thier carseat and swing sooner (all of these things translate to more $$$ spent in the 1st year) we hesitate about introducing solids for fear of an obese baby and they are heavy!! My 6 &1/2 month old weighs twenty pounds and we sling him, but dang!!! He slows me wayyy down! So please don't worry about your LO in the 45th percentile. it sound like you are doing wonderful. I personally don't even think it's sounds like you have a supply issue but if you think you do, supplementing will only make that worse. Misinformed pediatricians are one of the worst problems BFing mothers face. They always say "go ahead and suplement". It's a supply and demand thing. Every feeding you don't give your baby, is one less demand on you to produce. And it may be more than that because formula takes longer to digest. I say trust Mother nature. You and your baby are doing well!

You already got good advise here. Hang in there and ignore the comments, people always have something to say even if no one ask. Remember that formula my create bigger problems, if it isn't really necessary forget about using it. I looked at the new tables, I'm going to link it, and she's barely below the 50%, she weights 4.8 kg so you can check out the table. Don't give the tables too much importance, the diaper output, that she's growing a little bit or a lot, that she seems happy overall is what you need to look for. As dawn mentioned the pump is not a good indicator and if you need some reassurance britebow gave you a good idea.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/media_p...irls_z_0_5.pdf

everyone wants to tell you your kid is as big as thier one or two year old, their clothes need to be rotated in and out of thier drawers every 4-6weeks they outgrow thier carseat and swing sooner (all of these things translate to more $$$ spent in the 1st year)
    I hear you there! With my first baby I've to give away SIX packs of diapers the first week and a few more when she reached sized two at 1 month!, she barely got to use her jumper b/c by the time she had enough neck support she was too big, and only used the carrier for like 5 months, poor girl wore 24 months clothes at six months, and she outgrew the biggest diaper size way before she was potty trained so we had to use pull-up before she was 18 months. Thanks God my second one was about average!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    There doesn't sound like any reason to supplement to me at all! In fact if you do it will probably hurt your supply. Everything on those charts is considered "normal" and your almost dead center AND they are based on FF babies AND those charts come from baby food companies! Don't worry! If your baby has the right amount of "output" just know that she is developing at her 'Natural" rate. It sounds like she eats right and a baby is always way more efficient at emptying a breast than a pump!
    If you want to know what it's like to be at the TOP of the chart I can tell you, it no picnic either! Everyone expects your child be developmentally farther along than they are, everyone wants to tell you your kid is as big as thier one or two year old, their clothes need to be rotated in and out of thier drawers every 4-6weeks they outgrow thier carseat and swing sooner (all of these things translate to more $$$ spent in the 1st year) we hesitate about introducing solids for fear of an obese baby and they are heavy!! My 6 &1/2 month old weighs twenty pounds and we sling him, but dang!!! He slows me wayyy down! So please don't worry about your LO in the 45th percentile. it sound like you are doing wonderful. I personally don't even think it's sounds like you have a supply issue but if you think you do, supplementing will only make that worse. Misinformed pediatricians are one of the worst problems BFing mothers face. They always say "go ahead and suplement". It's a supply and demand thing. Every feeding you don't give your baby, is one less demand on you to produce. And it may be more than that because formula takes longer to digest. I say trust Mother nature. You and your baby are doing well!

DJ's Mom makes a good point...I hear you there! At one point ds was in the 135th percentile... thank goodness he was still exclusively bf at that point so there was no doubt that it was all genetics. But boy did I hear comments- still do!

It sounds to me like your baby is developing the way your baby is supposed to. Being a mother is a good lesson in trust- trust that your baby will develop when your baby is ready to on her time table. This goes for crawling, sitting, walking, talking, weaning, reading, dating.... That's not to say we can't foster development, but your baby will grow and develop the way god, buddha, krishna, the universe,{insert your faith here} intends for her to!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

worried mom......DO NOT listen to other people's comments. I did that and I started to second guess my supply and it started to effect ds and myself. He was fussy b/c he could tell I was stressing. After about 2 weeks of that I quit worrying and realized that ds is going to be a small baby. He has only gained 5 lbs in 6 months, but everything else is in the normal range. To be honest, I do worry about him being small, but on the other hand I have accepted that is just going to be him.

Red face Re: Low milk supply and thinking about supplementing

Thank you everyone for all your comments and your information, I feel much better about this whole situation ! I guess sometimes is just hard being a first time mom and not knowing what to expect ! Thank you again for making me feel better and now I can say for sure I will continue to do what I have been doing and not worry so much of what other people say, as long as she is ok than it's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by worriedmom
    Thank you everyone for all your comments and your information, I feel much better about this whole situation ! I guess sometimes is just hard being a first time mom and not knowing what to expect ! Thank you again for making me feel better and now I can say for sure I will continue to do what I have been doing and not worry so much of what other people say, as long as she is ok than it's all that matters.
    GOOD!!!