Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 month old won't nurse during the day?

Default 7 month old won't nurse during the day?

My DD is 7 months old and she has recently started rejecting me during the day. She usually goes to sleep around 10pm and wakes up at 2 and 5 am to nurse. she gets up at 8 am and will nurse for a little while and then she is ready to play. I will try to feed her again at 11 but she rejects the breast so I wait until I see her sucking her thumb and try again. she still won't nurse so I pump and give her a bottle. I try to feed her every 3 hours but when she will not take the booby I pump and give her a bottle. she may eat from me 2 times during the day. but during the night she will take the boob. Anyone have a similar situation or have any idea why she wont nurse during the day but will at night. any advice would be welcome.

Default Re: 7 month old won't nurse during the day?

Maybe she is prefering the bottle more because she can eat from it faster and get back to playing? Maybe you can try taking her into a dark room to nurse and lie down with her so there is no distraction.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

First of all, I'm so relieved to hear that there is another child out there that doesn't/won't go to sleep until around 10 at night. My boy is the same way, and sometimes I get flack for it. Other times, mothers are just appalled and don't say a word. I wish he would go down earlier... but, he's simply not tired, so I don't force it.

My boy is also the same way when it comes to nursing throughout the day. He is too distracted, too interested in finding new things and developing new skills. Though he may latch on for about ten seconds (yes, just long enough to get my milk flowing), he then finds something to interest him and he's off again. It's almost a chore to get him to eat during the day.
    I do what the other mom suggested and take him to a dim-lit room to eat. That way he's not looking at everything in sight.
    Try that out.
    Otherwise, I think what you're doing is great. Pumping and bottle-feeding is great if that works to get the BM in her.
    She's probably getting most of her calories during the night-time feedings anyway.

good luck, mama.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Cool Re: 7 month old won't nurse during the day?

7 months is a normal age to go on a nursing strike. I agree with PP, you need to be in a quiet area away from distractions while trying to nurse.

Good Luck!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

DD is 5 mo. old and been on a daytime nursing strike for about 2 mo. I just pump and bottle feed.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My LO is 11months old, and believe me it gets harder. I agree you have BF in a no play area and make it all business. Sometimes she'll start poking me in the face to get me to play with her and I have to turn my head so she can't see me laughing. Do what works. I can't even change her diaper laying down anymore. It's just go go go from here on out. GOOD LUCK! P.S My dauhgter will go to bed anywhere from 8pm to midnight depending on how stimulating her day was.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

My LO's bedtime is between 10 and 11pm.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Mine won't go down until 1am, no matter what we do!! We'd finally gotten him down at 12am (by just getting earlier a few minutes at a time, and sometimes it felt like we were going three steps forward and two steps back), but then the stinkin' time change happened! Grr.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I am also very happy to hear that these things are happening with others. My DD is 7 months also and she does the same thing right now. Will not nurse during the day. Is great at night but will suck for a few seconds and get that rush of milk and then off she goes. I can get her to nurse 1 or 2 times during the day when she is going down for her naps but that is about it. She is growing fine and i pump during the day every 3 hour to keep up supply and give it to her in a bottle when she wants it. I feel much better now that i know i am not the only one dealing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JakestersMommy View Post
    My LO's bedtime is between 10 and 11pm.
    we have the opposite problem. hubby and i are early risers so DD goes to sleep around 6:30-7:30 p.m. and wakes 5:00 a.m.-5:30 a.m....which isn't a problem except for weekends!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.