Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So discouraged - low milk supply - feel like giving up

Default Re: So discouraged - low milk supply - feel like giving up

I haven't read all of the replies, but I just wanted to give you a word of encouragement. My first two babes would only take a 20 minute break in between feedings unless they were sleeping. I was told with my first that I HAD to supplement. I did, but only at night, and only that 4 oz. I was so stressed, and constantly feared my supply was low. Now, looking back, I don't believe it was. I would say, if you have the patience and time to nurse that baby often, nurse that baby often. As long as she is gaining weight and happy, you shouldn't worry. Also, I can't pump worth a darn either. Some women just don't pump well.

Oh! One more thing! My kids are so sweet and loving, and I am convinced it's because I nursed them when they wanted to nurse. They had a ton of physical closeness that first year of life, and now I'm so grateful I stuck it out. Take care!

Thanks to all that replied. The encouragement was very nice I truly admit. It's nice to know there are other Mom's out there that go through the same thing. To answer some more of your questions.

I believe my supply is low because of her slow weight gain. 4 ounces a week. She had Jaundice pretty bad when she was first born (only 2 weeks early), but was on the smaller side, and everyone said that she acted more like a premie. Also, I've been told the fact she never seems satisfied, and is constantly rooting shows that my supply is low.

She has plently of great "heavy" wets a day, and has 2-3 dirty ones a week. I consulted her doctor about her dirties when they suddenly dropped from multiples dailey... and he said as long as she has 1 good one once a week he is fine.

I'm really glad to hear rooting is totally normal for her age. I'm of the belief she would suckle the breast all day long if I let her.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleebella View Post
    I'm of the belief she would suckle the breast all day long if I let her.
    Why not let her? There is no better way to boost your supply than to let your baby nurse as much as she wants!

You could take a "nursing vacation"- shelve ALL your other commitments and go to bed with your baby, and nurse as often as she will go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleebella View Post
    Thanks to all that replied. The encouragement was very nice I truly admit. It's nice to know there are other Mom's out there that go through the same thing. To answer some more of your questions.

I believe my supply is low because of her slow weight gain. 4 ounces a week. She had Jaundice pretty bad when she was first born (only 2 weeks early), but was on the smaller side, and everyone said that she acted more like a premie. Also, I've been told the fact she never seems satisfied, and is constantly rooting shows that my supply is low.

She has plently of great "heavy" wets a day, and has 2-3 dirty ones a week. I consulted her doctor about her dirties when they suddenly dropped from multiples dailey... and he said as long as she has 1 good one once a week he is fine.

I'm really glad to hear rooting is totally normal for her age. I'm of the belief she would suckle the breast all day long if I let her.
    Some babies gain faster than others. In my opinion, as long as she is gaining (and not losing) then you are doing great. And, as I said before, frequent and prolonged nursing at that age is very common. There were some days when I felt like I nursed all day long. But, this will not continue forever. Babies get more efficient at nursing as they get older.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I didn't have time to read all the replies but wanted to give you some encouragement and a pat on the back for researching and not giving up!

My dd was a slow gainer. She never gained more than 5oz a week (mostly 3-4oz) during her first 4 months. She continued to gain about that her whole first year. I had plenty of milk because she had 8 wet dipes (sometimes more) within 24 hours. To this day, she is petite despite 2 large parents. She still wears 4t's at 5 1/2 years old!

Sounds like you are doing awesome. Keep up the good work.

Anything from .5-2oz a day is in the realm of normal. So if you are getting 4oz a week that's more than the minimum of normal which is 3.5. And perhaps she would gain more if you would just allow her to do what her instincts are telling her to? Which is to say latched on for about 8-12 hours a day? I know that sounds overwhelming, but it's actually what is supposed to happen. Newborns need to eat on average every 1-3 hours around the clock. That you are getting that long of a stretch of sleep this early is AMAZING. But during the 1st 6-12weeks depending on the child, they are working diligently to set up your supply. Your baby instinctively understands that its her JOB right now to nurse all day. Allow it. Wrap your mind around the idea that the only thing you need to get accomplished during the day is feeding the baby. Most of us in the beginning set up a "nursing station." Where you know you are going to be all day long. Mine was in the living room on the couch. I had a tray where I kept a big glass of water and the remotes and the phones. I got up to pee, change diapers and get more food. That's it. Unless it was the weekend or someone came to help me that is where I sat for the 1st 6weeks easy. It really was probably more like 8-12 but somewhere around the 6thweek I started making a weekly outing with the baby so then it didn't seem like I was in the house all the time. But even after we started making outings, we spent huge amounts of time on that couch. During growth spurts...and that's just what we did. I fed my baby. I didn't clean house or do laundry and if you wanted to come see me you had to bring food. Feed the Baby. It won't be too much longer now. She'll reulate your already good supply and you can lose the supplements.
    I am appalled at the advice of your LC Is she IBCLC? Or just an LC? Because really, she doesn't sound like she knows WTH is going on AT ALL.
    And FTR, your breast are NEVER actually empty. They Letdown in multiple streams and then as they empty the the number of streams gets smaller and smaller. If your baby was actually at your breast all day, between letdowns she would probably get down to one stream of milk. This allows the baby to always get milk while comfort nursing without worry about overfeeding. Also when your child stops suckling to rest or go to sleep , your breast stops flowing. Mother nature works perfectly when allowed to. You were made to do this and honestly it sound like you are doing far better than you are giving yourself credit for. Feed your baby. Everything else, can wait a few weeks. Let us know how things go!

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re:low milk supply - thyroid results- low DHEA causing the problem?

So, here is an update. My daughter was weighed on Monday. She was 7 lbs, 5 oz. From 6lbs 2.5 weeks ago. I'd like to wean her off of the 4oz daily of formula and see what she gains before she goes back in another 2 weeks.

However, I have a new question. From my doctor appointment, my thyroid is off. T3 is high, and DHEA is very low. For the first time ever he wants me to start a DHEA supplement. Could this be "harming" my supply all along?

I would just keep bf as often as baby wants. It will increase the milk supply. Baby may just be going through a growth spurt and it will level off later.

Keep it up though!!! Don't get discouraged!!!

Low thyroid is one cause of milk supply issues. Have you started the thyroid meds yet and have you seen a difference with your nursing?

It sounds like you're doing an amazing job breastfeeding- hang in there and it will get easier!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: low milk supply - thyroid results- low DHEA causing the problem?

I don't have any specific knowledge about the levels you posted, but postpartum thyroid problems are common and also a common cause of supply problems. But it sounds like you are doing wonderfully well, and I bet you can chuck the formula any time you want to!!!