Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apparently, I'm starving my son.......

Default Re: Apparently, I'm starving my son.......

Thanks for the responses and for the much needed support. I sure need it today.

Caiden has become increasingly more active. Crawling backwards, pulling himself up, doing pushup like moves. I can't keep him still! It's quite wonderful actually.

As for him teething....absolutely! He has been doing all of these things with some ferver lately, too.

Baby is nursing at least 5 x per day and once or twice at night. He lately has been nursing non-stop during the night, I think due to the teething/clingy factor.
    He is absolutely NOT sleeping 12 hrs a night. Maybe 4 hours at a time before the teething episodes wake him up and he needs to be nursed/comforted back to sleep....which lately has been close to impossible without co-sleeping. But I'm just rolling with it.

His diaper output, as far as urine, is just fine. The poop has been the problem lately. He had not pooped since Monday. I did help him along with feeding him some prunes, and he did well. He loved the prunes and finally pooped earlier today.

Anyway....I am so upset about this peds thing. They are not just Caiden's Ped, it's my 10yr old DD's ped, who she has had since she was 2 yrs old. So leaving that practice is definately more complicated, ya know? I don't know what to do, but I know that what happened yesterday is just not okay, kwim?

I shouldn't feel bad when I leave their office. And I felt like the biggest piece of garbage and the worst mother ever.... I shouldn't ever feel that way.

I would think that if his diaper output is ok and he is nursing often enough the slowed weight gain could be attributed to his new found level of activity. If his weight gain is still a concern maybe you could offer to nurse more, that ought to fatten him up

Hello. This is my first reply but after reading your post I had to say....

My son is going to be nine months in a week and half. He hasn't been weighed since his sixth month well child visit. At that time, he was I think only close to 16 pounds. (My husband and I aren't tall or wide people so I know that plays into his size.) My son is exclusively breastfed. I don't do formula. I did start solids. I do fruits and veggies right now. I'm so nervous about it though. It scares me to try to things. It scares me because I don't know what to give him or when. But what I do know is that you have an UNSUPPORTIVE doctor. Get rid of him/her!! I knew and later found out my pediatrician supports breastfeeding. Even when she told me I could start solids at four months I hesitated and talked to a lactation consultant where I work (a hospital). I have a hard time believing people. Because some people say supplementing with formula is okay. I won't do it!! I have always referred to the LLL website for questions like that. So as far as my son's current weight...I'm sure it's not much more than it was. I do understand as long as he consistently gains even if it's not alot it's okay. Good Luck!!
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

mr baby was also at the bottom of the charts and i was encouraged to start solids with him pretty early, but seeing the shift in his whole being, i know it was the right thing for him. he was ready and he was HUNGRY. now he nurses before every solids meal and he's eating 2+ of those daily. actually, he nurses more now than before since he's teething like crazy.

here's the thing that i wanted to mention that i noticed recently when i was hanging out with another momma while she was pumping. i was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of milk she was getting -- like 6 oz a side! Talk about feeling inadequate, I have never even gotten 4 oz out of both boobs in a sitting. Of those measly 4 oz, not even one ounce would be the good fatty top layer of milk, despite pumping for 20 - 30 minutes until i was bone dry. her milk was almost ALL fatty top milk. her baby is FAT. my baby is lean. coincidence? i think not.
    Last edited by sparklet; March 22nd, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyscootless View Post
    Most foods have LESS calories and fat than breast milk. So IF you wanted him to gain weight then you'd want to nurse more - not offer more solids.
    Has he started becoming a lot more active? Babies can maintain or even loose some weight then.
    I'd look for a new doctor if you can, this is only the tip of the iceberg. My toddler still doesn't eat 3 solid meals a day, but I'm not starving him!

I really like this page for solids
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    What she said!! I really hate the ignorance of doctors!

Quote Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
    here's the thing that i wanted to mention that i noticed recently when i was hanging out with another momma while she was pumping. i was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of milk she was getting -- like 6 oz a side! Talk about feeling inadequate, I have never even gotten 4 oz out of both boobs in a sitting. Of those measly 4 oz, not even one ounce would be the good fatty top layer of milk, despite pumping for 20 - 30 minutes until i was bone dry. her milk was almost ALL fatty top milk. her baby is FAT. my baby is lean. coincidence? i think not.
    Twelve ounces in one sitting is A LOT of milk--far more than most mothers are able to pump. Please don't let yourself compare what one mother is able to pump to what you are able to pump, and especially try not to compare how your baby looks to the way another baby looks. What mothers can pump varies on so many factors--breastmilk storage capacity of the mother (not related to breast size), how long since last feeding, if she has an oversupply, what type of pump she is using, *how* she pumps (does she compress while pumping, etc). How babies grow also depend on many factors--genetics most especially. It sounds like the mother you described had A LOT of milk, and THAT would account for some her baby's size. NOT the fat volume (which varies on when you're pumping, how you're pumping, and how full the breast was).

Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...rease.html#how
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

HTH!

Mine is 8months, 99% breastfed, 1% solids and he is over 20lbs!
    It is OK to feed more breastmilk than solids at this age. Just keep breastfeeding and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I really wanted to respond to this poster.

My son at his 4 month appointment (he was actually 4 months 1 week) weighed 19 1/2 pounds. When I pump, I'm also lucky if I get 4 oz all together out of both sides no matter how hard I try. I don't know if he just manages to get more than that when he's eating or what. And as far as I can tell, I don't have more cream than is normal. I seriously think I just can't pump as much as he can get out himself!

Plus on top of it all, he spits up a good 2 oz or so everytime he eats (not that I can measure it, but considering he usually half soaks a hand towel and whatever manages to run off the towel and onto my clothes I'm pretty sure it's about 2oz) I'd hate to see how much he weighed if he didn't spit up! LOL