Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, I'm starving my son.......

Exclamation Apparently, I'm starving my son.......

So, as some of you know my son has been having sleep issues and eating issues re: solids.

Caiden hasn't pooped in two days and he is crying/nursing/fussing/clingy all night. I really thought something was wrong. UTI/serious constipation/ear infection....something.
    So I went to the Dr. yesterday. She asked me what he is eating and I told her breastmilk and only one meal of solids per day around noon.

Well, you would have thought I flat out committed a crime; because she said that he was not getting enough food and the reason why he was so fussy at night was because he was hungry.
    Now, I do believe that I have been a bit clueless in this dept., since my DD 10yrs ago.; but to say Caiden is absolutely not getting enough nutrition from my breastmilk alone and that 'if I don't start him on two to three meals of solids a day right away", she will have to rx him iron supplements since my bm does not have enough (and he will surely be anemic.) just sounds flat out preposterous.

She even went as far as to weigh him to compare him to a month ago. He was 17.5 lbs at his last well visit, yesterday he was 17.2 lbs.

WHAT??!?!?!?
    I'm confused.
    I EBF my DD 10 yrs ago and I never had this kind of alarming situation.
    I thought my BM was enough and that introducing solids was 'just experimenting'...

Help me understand, please.

I am feeling like all I know as a mother has just gone out the window and all I've been doing is just plain wrong.... I have been so sad and been feeling unbelievably inadequate ever since yesterday.

What have I been doing wrong?

Default Re: Apparently, I'm starving my son.......

I'm sorry this is so stressful . How old is your son?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Can infants who become more active hold weight steady or lose a bit? Just curious because I can see that happening...

Good luck!!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Yes it's normal to have a dip in weight/percentile when baby starts crawling and again when they start walking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Caiden is 7 month and a half months old.

Most foods have LESS calories and fat than breast milk. So IF you wanted him to gain weight then you'd want to nurse more - not offer more solids.
    Has he started becoming a lot more active? Babies can maintain or even loose some weight then.
    I'd look for a new doctor if you can, this is only the tip of the iceberg. My toddler still doesn't eat 3 solid meals a day, but I'm not starving him!

I really like this page for solids
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Yuck. What a rotten visit with the pediatrician you had!!! s, mama!

You might want to check out this weight-for-age chart for breastfed baby boys. If I read it right, at 7.5 months, your son is somewhere in between the 15th and 50th percentiles for weight. You said he was 17 lbs, 5 oz at his last well-baby visit. If that happened at 6 months, then he was right around the 50th percentile for weight at that point. Ultimately, that's not much of a decline, percentile-wise.

It's normal for babies to go up and down in the charts. They don't always grow at the same speed- some months they will put more calories into weight, other months they will put those calories into height. So long as they keep growing and meeting their milestones, you shouldn't be concerned.

It's also normal for breastfed babies' weight gain to slow waaay down around the 6 month point. They are mobile, they are interested in the world, and they are burning off the baby fat that they stored up during the first six months. A major difference between formula-fed and breastfed babies is that formula-fed babies tend to gain weight relatively slowly in the beginning, and then faster in the second half of their first year. Breastfed babies tend to gain weight quickly in the beginning, and then become relatively lean in the second half of their first year. If a doc is looking at the old charts, which were developed using data from formula-fed babies, a breastfed baby will look too fat during the first part of the first year, and scrawny in the second part of the first year.

According to my pediatrician, solids in the first year are for experimentation with new textures and tastes and new oral motor skills only. Breastmilk alone takes care of all your child's nutritional needs. I think the advice your pediatrician gave you to replace mamamilk with solids is flat-out ridiculous: breastmilk is more calorie-rich and easily digestible than solids. If you want your son to put on more weight, you might want to offer the breast more frequently and concentrate on the higher-calorie solids- things like avocado and whole-milk yogurt.

The pediatrician's concern about iron is probably unwarranted. Breastmilk does not contain a huge amount of iron, but what iron there is in it is highly bioavailable and easily assimilated. Few breastfed babies become anemic- but if you want to put your mind at ease, a simple blood test can be done to check your baby's iron levels.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with sleep and solids. The crying/nursing/fussy/clingy thing sounds a lot like teething to me... Any chance of that? If not, then maybe a visit with a different pediatrician- one who is not so hung up on your child's weight and solids intake- might find the cause.

I have to tell you, we went through the same sleep problems a few weeks ago. He was miserable, I was miserable, and so something had to be done. I started feeding him more, and more complex foods. Now we are at the point where he eats yogurt for breakfast, some fruit and cereal for lunch, and I just grind up whatever we are eating for dinner. Last night it was sloppy joes, broccoli, and julienne potatoes. Ummm...yuck, but he loved it!!!!! He is sleeping 12 hours a night now. I think he WAS hungry. Just because BM may have more calories than other foods does not necessarily mean it will keep them full for longer. A candy bar has more calories than a salad, but the salad will keep me full for way longer. Not comparing BM to candy, mind you!!!!!
    I know some people may not agree with this, but FOR US, my son was ready to eat more. By following his cues, I have a happier baby and am a happier momma!!!
    Last edited by T&M_Mama; March 20th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T&M_Mama View Post
    I have to tell you, we went through the same sleep problems a few weeks ago. He was miserable, I was miserable, and so something had to be done. I started feeding him more, and more complex foods. Now we are at the point where he eats yogurt for breakfast, some fruit and cereal for lunch, and I just grind up whatever we are eating for dinner. Last night it was sloppy joes, broccoli, and julienne potatoes. Ummm...yuck, but he loved it!!!!! He is sleeping 12 hours a night now. I think he WAS hungry. Just because BM may have more calories than other foods does not necessarily mean it will keep them full for longer. A candy bar has more calories than a salad, but the salad will keep me full for way longer. Not comparing BM to candy, mind you!!!!!
    I know some people may not agree with this, but FOR US, my son was ready to eat more. By following his cues, I have a happier baby and am a happier momma!!!
    I agree that for a 10 month-old three solid meals a day may be necessary but the OP's baby is just 7.5 months old. I don't think a 7.5 month-old BF baby needs that much food. My son went through a similar period around 7-8 months and I think it was his 6-month growth spurt arriving late. I nursed him more and continued to give solids once a day (as dinner). It was only after 9-10 months that he really seemed to be not filling up on BM so we went to two solid meals a day. Only after 12 months he started wanting breakfast too as his third meal.
    As for your situation I think you could also try putting some finger foods in front of him 3 times a day after you nurse him to see if he will eat it. If he does good, if he doesn't that's fine too.

How often is the baby nursing? Is his diaper outpt ok?