Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is going on??

Default What is going on??

Baby is 11 weeks old and my nipples hurt so bad. This morning I had to relatch him at least 20 times and it still hurt like crazy (and hurts now 30 minutes later). My right nipple is even starting to blister.

I think it is his latch because sometimes it doesn't hurt and then it will hurt so bad that I have to unlatch him because it feels like my nipple is coming apart. HELP!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Default Re: What is going on??

Ik. So sorry.

It's just the nipples that hurt, right? And it's both nipples? If so, yes it sounds like a latch problem. I don't KNOW how to help you. Someone here will though.

Has anyone checked out the latch irl? Like a LC or a LLL leader?

Is he getting the whole areola in his mouth? You want to get it way in there. Is he opening up really wide?

I agree with the pp, you need to get that checked out. I'm so sorry you're in pain. Were you pain-free before? How long has this been going on?

Sometimes when a woman has thrush it can hurt for a long time after a feeding.

The soreness caused by poor latching and ineffective suckling hurts most as you latch the baby on and usually improves as the baby nurses. The pain from the fungal infection goes on throughout the feed and may continue even after the feed is over. Women describe knifelike pain from the first two causes. The pain of the fungal infection is often described as burning, but may not have this character. A new onset of nipple pain when feedings had previously been painless is a tip off that the pain may be due to a yeast infection, but the pain may be superimposed on pain due to other causes. Cracks may be due to a yeast infection.
    from Sore Nipples

Does that ring any bells for you?

Edited to add: Latching and unlatching too many times can cause nipple trauma that's worse than a bad latch.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Oh man, I wonder if I do have thrush? I was pain free before up until 2 days ago! There is a burning sensation too, especially in the right nipple long after feeding. It kept me awake last night!

Uapdate

Just wanted to let you ladies know that it was his latch. We worked really hard to get his mouth all the way open and my nipples feel a hundred times better allready! Thanks!

Oh thank goodness.

Don't forget to rub some milk on your nipples so that they can heal faster! So happy your figured it out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!