Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cause of baby's gas?

Default Cause of baby's gas?

My 7 week old is very gassy lately. I've been using a nipple shield to help my cracked nipple heal. Could this be the problem? I also have a large supply of milk. Could that be the problem? I've given him drops but they don't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cause of baby's gas?

does baby cry alot?

how often is baby nursing?

hows weight gain?
    what about diapars?
    WEts and poops?

Does he seem to be in pain from the gas?
    As long as your nipple shield is fitted correctly, then it shouldn't be a problem. If your not sure you might consider getting the fit checked.
    Is he choking and sputtering when your milk first lets down? This could cause him to be getting air.
    Sometimes something you ate can cause gas, have you had anything added to your diet lately?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Yes...he does seem to be in pain from the gas. It gets worse in the evening. At times he is inconsolable.

He nurses every 2 - 3 hours during the day but will go 4 - 6 hours at night.

He has lots of wet diapers but lately he is only pooping once a day or even every other day.

His weight gain is fine. He was born at 6lbs. 14oz. and is now over 11 lbs.

About the nipple shield. I was given it by my lactation consultant so I'm sure the fit is ok...except that I do notice some air bubbles in it when he lets go.
    She also told me that I have an oversupply. He only nurses on one side for about 10 minutes. Should I use that side for two feedings in a row. Could it have something to do with the foremilk?

at that age they do spread out their poops, and thats normal...
    Sometimes babies just fussy and cry. Go with your gut, you know your baby best.

heres a link about fussy babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp
    and this one
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

you might think about baby carring, carried babies cry less.

this link might help too
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

I also eat a lot of dairy...but i have since he was born...could it be affecting him differently after 5 - 6 weeks?

My DD had problems with gas. When I cut out dairy it helped a lot! I wish I had done it sooner but I did not think that was the problem. After a couple of months I started using lactose free products and that did not bother her. I then slowly started adding dairy back in and she has not had a problem since. Good luck.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Lightbulb Re: Cause of baby's gas?

lots of dairy products, onions, coffee, beans, can all cause extra gas