Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wont feed.......what to do?

Default wont feed.......what to do?

i dont know what to do today...lucas fed at 12 midnight, and he would normally wake up after 3 -4 hours for another feed....but i always set my alarm for 4.5 hrs after his last feed just in case, but he always woke up before, last night he didnt, so when my alarm went off i tried to feed him and he just wasnt interested so i put him back, after 30 mins he started stirring himself and sucking his hands, again tried to feed him and he wasnt interested...so i just left him, he didnt feed till 7 am!! he has never gone that long before, and it is not 10.30 and he still sleeping and wont feed again....he normally feeds every 2-3 hrs in the day.....but even tho he has not fed my breasts have not felt anywhere near full......they feel completly empty and "deflated".............he did latch on a couple of times at 4 ans again when he woke 30 mins later, but he would latch on..suck a cpl times and cry.....so i dont know if he just wasnt hungry or wasnt getting anything as there was nothing there???

i got all upset in the night as he wouldnt feed at all, and i just felt empty....im worrying my supply is low or stopped......

i wish i could just feel better about everything, i worry all the time...and he only fed at 12 midnight and 7 am and is now 10 30 am, so im thinking he must be really hungry but he just sleeping away...........
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: wont feed.......what to do?

how old is baby?
    the all have days were it seams like they are living on air.
    You could hand express or pump some and save it for later.
    As long as baby is having wets and poops try not to worry to much.

he is 2 months old, i wonder if this means he is sleeping through the nght! i didnt think bf babies would tho for a few months yet? he would have slept from half 12 till quarter to 7 if i hadnt woken him!! he did have a big feed at midnight so i suppos that is a good thing and he was feeding every 2-3 hrs yesterday......but he never ever did that of a night before!! i jjst wish soetimes i would have a bit more confidence when it comes to me breastfeeding.......i worry too much, he has been weighed every thursday since he was born, and his weight gain was excellent, but still every thursday im nervous about his weigh in. Altho no weighing today as he has his first set of immunisation ;-(

he did wake up himself for a feed at 10 40 (10 mins after first post!!) and has been awaje and alert since....
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...gSep06p51.html

maybe this will help

shots can make they sleep alot
    is baby running a fever?

no, he hasnt had them yet, has them later today........i made dh get day off work as i didnt want to go on my own!

awe later today.
    Good luck!
    IF I made my hubby do it they would never have another shot
    hes a big softie!

Some babies sleep through the night at that age ... yours might be one of those! If he is eating every 2-3 hours during the day, I wouldn't worry about it and would enjoy the rest! My daughter had days when I felt like she wasn't eating at all. I think this was often at the tail end of a growth spurt. I worried just like you though and now in retrospect, I wish I would have just followed her lead more. Your baby will let you know if he's hungry, and he was probably trying to let you know he'd rather sleep at that time.

As a side note, immunizations at that age made my daughter want to nurse all the time, so after the shots, he may want to do nothing but nurse. Good luck!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

thank you for all the replies...however he didnt get the shots today..im sooo mad, after i walked there in the freezinf wind and rain....i got there and they asked if i had made an appointment..i said no, it came thro post, and they were "oh, weve asked them not to do this, we ask parents to make appointment themselves( altho who "them" is i dont know, and i was there 2 weeks ago and they didnt tell me i needed to make an appointment) and then they said anyway nurse isnt here, she gave us short notice she not coming, so i have another appointment in 3 weeks!!!! which means he will get his 2 months shots and 3 months shots in the space of a week....and his 2 month shots are 3 weeks late

sorry, dealing with doctors offices can be so much fun..
    Its ok to delay shots....
    Some of them they might not be able to give so close to gether.
    be sure to ask about that.