Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal

Default Is this normal

I was wondering if it was normal for a 5 month old baby girl to go from eating all the time to hardly eating at all. I think she went from nuring 7 - 8 times a day to 4-5 times a day. She seems to be sleeping a lot more too. She use to not take much naps during the day and now she sleeps almost the whole time I'm at work and takes only 1-4oz bottle of EBM. Her ped says that it's normal for babies to suddenly eat less, but I'm just worried. Any help will be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by piilani_girl; July 17th, 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Is this normal

Does she nurse at night? Some babies would rather just spend time with their mommies, so they sleep with their caregivers and play with mommy. It is perfectly normal for that to happen...as far as the reduced eating...she is probably taking more from you than you realize, and as long as she is having enough poop and pee diapers you are all set!

Have you started solids? If so, cut back on those, she will nurse more. Breastmilk before solids! Always!

I second the pp. My dd eats very little when I am at work. Somethiems only 3-4 oz in the whole day. She takes a big nap at the babysitter and is raring and ready to go when I get back. Make sure you ask your dcp to give baby small bottles so that nothign goes to waste. It took a whiel to get that straightened out fo rme and I was dumping my precious ebm down the drain when I went to pick her up.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Nope I haven't started solids yet, she doesn't seem interested in them. She's also not nursing more at night than she did before she started eating less during the day. I use to nurse her a lot more during the night too before this strike. I'm hoping she's getting more from me in that short amount of time that she's nursing. I do know we are battling a diaper rash, so she could just be uncomfortable. Thanks for the advice, and if anyone else has and ideas I welcome them.