Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I reduce pumping at work now?

Default Can I reduce pumping at work now?

I've had an oversupply since LO was about two weeks old, and have had to pump regularly to keep my levels manageable for her... When I'm home I usually block nurse one side and pump the other.

I haven't wanted to reduce my supply to match her demand, because I work full time and wanted to have a huge freezer stash, plus I'd heard from people that your supply drops when you're at work.

I'm super lucky, BTW, since my nanny brings the baby to my office at lunch (along with a sandwich for me) so LO and I have a special lunch date every day.

She's 5 1/2 mos now and will be starting rice cereal in a few weeks, so I think I can probably start reducing my pumping sessions at work. She only eats 5-7 oz while away from me all day, partly because she's reverse cycling a bit and because I think she "saves her appetite" for our lunch meetings.

Right now I'm pumping double what she needs... My freezer is full. Milk banks in Korea won't take "foreigner" milk, and there's really no where for it to go... is it time to cut out one of my daytime pumping sessions? It'll take a week or two to reduce my supply because if I go straight from morning to feeding her at lunch, my OALD will kick in and she'll sputter and spit up.

Should I let my supply dwindle to match her demand now? Have I done enough to make sure she's set?

Or alternately (as my husband suggests) I take the extra I pump during the work day and he gives her one bottle at night. (She feeds every 2-4 hours at night.)

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Can I reduce pumping at work now?

Because of the over supply I might consider increasing the time between pumping gradually. You want to avoid becoming engorged or impacted, it can lead to blocked ducts or mastitis. If you are block feeding on one side, and pumping the other, you are encoraging your body to produce more milk. Try to do a block without pumping, or just pump off the top so that you are comfortable, but whatever you do, don't empty it all the way. Same with pumping at work. Avoid draining the breast completely.

There is a protein in milk called the Feedback Inhibitor of Milk, which builds up as the breast becomes full. Milk production then slows down as the breast is more and more full. An empty breast sends a full-steam-ahead signal. Does that make sense?

I don't know much about over-supply. Could you start cutting back and see if it goes well. Then, if she's using up your stash faster than you'd like, maybe you could start up again. I did want to mention one thing...I wouldn't use the fact that she'll be starting solids in your decision just yet. She will most likely be eating very little at first and your milk will still be her main source of nutrition. Plus, you may go to try some with her, and she may not be ready to eat it yet. JMTC

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I did want to mention one thing...I wouldn't use the fact that she'll be starting solids in your decision just yet. She will most likely be eating very little at first and your milk will still be her main source of nutrition. Plus, you may go to try some with her, and she may not be ready to eat it yet. JMTC
    i totally agree. when you start introducing solids, it won't be for nutrition, more for experimentation. some kids don't start eating a lot of solids until their first year. this might not be the case with your lo, but i wouldn't really make any plans until you know how she takes to the solids first. hth.