Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Vegetables

Default Raw Vegetables

Can anyone tell me if it's okay to let an almost 7 mos. baby suck/chew on raw vegetables? I seem to remember reading that we're not to give raw vegies to babies because they can't digest them yet. However, I'm not sure how much she actually gets and she really likes them. I think it's mostly a teething thing (a nice cold, hard baby carrot) and an imitating Mom and Dad thing. But I'm a bit worried that it's not good. Any ideas? (She has no teeth yet, and we only give it to her in her high chair when we're watching closely in case she manages to bite off a chunk, which she does manage!)

Default Re: Raw Vegetables

I'd be more inclined to offer in a different shape. The baby carrot scares me, like it could disappear and get lodged in the wrong place real fast.

Where's Shelly, she knows all the answers about this stuff??
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I have always let Clare gum on a cold carrot, a large one though. I think it feels good on their little mouths when they are cutting teeth. I have also given her parsnip. You have to be careful that they are thick enough that they can't break off any bits and choke.

Carrots are a No No before a year because of Nitrates. But we certainly did snap peas, celery and other raw veggies and Some cooked as well by the 7 month point.

Way too lazy for formula

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Please fill me in. Do you mean that babies should never have carrots cooked to eat or raw to chew on or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Clare's Mum View Post
    Please fill me in. Do you mean that babies should never have carrots cooked to eat or raw to chew on or both?
    That is correct. The processed kind that they put in baby food have the nitrates removed. But not any whole raw one that come out of the ground that are sold at the store or farmers market. Since we skipped all purees, we waited on carrots until after the year point.

Way too lazy for formula

Whole carrot purees was one of Kate's first foods... How have I hurt my child???? She was around 8 months when she really got into them.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

You can also check your soil and grow them yourself. Mine grow like weeds. Literally, I am finding all over the yard!
    As far as raw veggies go, though, I about had a heart attack when my friend told me she gave her son frozen peas when he was about 8 months. He loved them, they thawed quickly in his mouth, and they mushed as they thawed, and he never choked.
    Also, on the carrot note, I can't imagine nitrates would be much of a problem for a baby who is not actually eating them, just teething on them. But, I could be totally wrong on that.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

About nitrates, there was a recent post about it:
    http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...light=nitrates

very interesting info from a knowledgeable person there, and link to an article from Wholesomebabyfood too...

HTH!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

There was a link to an actual page on nitrates here a while ago and the info on it was not the same as that one there....the talk of nitrates not being able to be removed from jarred food....that's the 1st I am hearing of that.
    I will see if I can find the link....it's possible the year vs 8months thing was just erring on the side of caution. Let's see it I can find it. If I can it will be in the way of a bump. No linking skill going in here.

Way too lazy for formula