Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pineapple?

Default Pineapple?

My 10.5 month old is a rather picky eater (I think...). She loves something one day, hates it the next. She seems to like fruit better than most foods. I'm wondering about pineapple. She's tried little bites and likes it (at least right now). Is it too acidic though? Can I blend it with cottage cheese to make it less acidic and add a little protein?
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Pineapple?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2maggie View Post
    My 10.5 month old is a rather picky eater (I think...). She loves something one day, hates it the next. She seems to like fruit better than most foods. I'm wondering about pineapple. She's tried little bites and likes it (at least right now). Is it too acidic though? Can I blend it with cottage cheese to make it less acidic and add a little protein?
    I think pineapple is one of the so called "citrus" fruits that you are supposed to avoid. I don't think its as acidic as oranges. That being said I give my 9.5 month old pineapple and she does fine with it. No oranges though. I would think that if she doesn't have any problems with it, no rash etc you would be okay.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Just a little ... Pineapple is not a citrus. Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is in the plant family Bromeliaceae. Citruses belong to the family Rutaceae.

However, pineapple is a tropical fruit, and plenty of people are allergic to those. It pays to go slow with them.

Thanks, ladies!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I haven't given pineapple but my lo loves papaya and it is tropical. Have I done something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Clare's Mum View Post
    I haven't given pineapple but my lo loves papaya and it is tropical. Have I done something wrong?
    I don't have much experience with allergies, but in general I think if you introduce something and your baby is fine with it, you can relax. (Allergy-savvy mamas, please tell me if I am right or wrong!)

But I really do think it is a good idea to go slow with tropical fruits- mangoes, papayas, kiwi, etc.- and introduce them one at a time and in small quantities, and to watch carefully for any reactions.