Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids and breastfeeding intervals

Default starting solids and breastfeeding intervals

My adorable LO just turned 6 months old and we started him on mashed up carrots this week. He seems to enjoy it a lot, he has been eying our food for a while.
    I am excited about this new step in his life, and i tried to read up on it some more. One question that I can't find the answer for is this: Right now I nurse him about every three hours during the day.
    On the days I work our schedule looks like this: 2amish, 6.30am, 8 am (just before I leave), 11 am (bottle), 2 pm (bottle), 5 pm (bottle), 7.30 pm nursing.
    When I am off (I only work 3 days a week) I feed him more like 2amish, 6.30am, 9 am , 12 pm (bottle), 3 pm (bottle), 6 pm (bottle), 7.30 pm nursing.

Anyway, I was wondering, when should I drop one of the nursings? Should he actually be eating only every 4 hours?
    There was one night (last night ) when he did not need the 2 am nursing, so I also don't want to deprive him of food during the day.

I know that this is early to ask, as he is not getting too much nutrition yet from his solid meals. However, I just wanted to see where this will go.
    I should also say that I have a very laid back son. He is usually happy and content. So I do feed him at a schedule as he hardly ever asks for it.

Thanks!!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

Default Re: starting solids and breastfeeding intervals

My LO is now 8 months. At 6 months of age, he was eating about every 3-4 hours so I didn't drop any feedings when we began solids. I added a small amount of solids to his dinner feed and gradually worked up to adding solids to lunch and dinner. He still gets primarily breatmilk. So, our routine looks something like this: 7:00 feeding, 11:00 feeding and solids, 2:30 feeding, 5:30feeding, and 7:00 feeding and solids. He used to feed at around 10 pm but I dropped that feeding a little after 7 months (I pump instead to add to the milk storage for when I work. I also work 3 days a week!) LO's a great sleeper so he doesn't wake up to eat during the night. Your LO sounds a lot like mine: very content and not too fussy! Mine rarely asks for it either.
    I hope this helps you some, I tried to search the web as well on how to add solids and ended up confused. So, I talked with all the new moms that I know which was a big help.

sounds like you are doing great! IMO I dont think that you should drop a feeding. More like just add solids to your LO schedule. I would nurse (or bottle in your case)then try solids.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

"The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I don't think you are supposed to drop a feeding until at least 9 months and more like 12 months if you aren't try to wean by 12 months. My 9.5 month old eats solisd 3-4 times a day and still nurses every 1-2 hours during the day. She is too busy to eat so I just offer it and usually she takes it. Obviously they aren't full feedings as she is a snacker... but I don't think she nurses any less than before we started solids. I would keep to the schedule you have and if you start to notice him not drinking as much milk pull back on the solids a bit until he is older.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

thanks so much! that really helps to see your schedules compared to mine
    and THANKS!!!! for the kelly mom link. I guess I just did not look enough, I know there are great resources out there. this really makes sense to me now.
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it