Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my baby wiping his face on my shoulder?

Default Why is my baby wiping his face on my shoulder?

Any suggestions as to why my 3mo old DS is wiping the front of his face back and forth into our shirts when we hold him up on our shoulder? He also tries rubbing his face on my boob when he's nursing sometimes He does it a lot, especially when he first wakes up, when he's trying to fall asleep and now when nursing.

He has thrush- I asked the doctor if that was why our DS is doing that wiping thing and he said no. He thought it's just a snugggle thing my DS doing, but I don't tend to agree. He wakes himself up doing it and he seems to really need to do it for some reason, not just a nurture thing but almost an itch. It really doesn't seem to be comfortable because his nose is going back and forth into our shoulders too- Thrush seems to be a good answer, since yeast infections can be itchy, but he's had thrush for a month and this just started last week.

He's also been drooling a little bit. My DH is wondering if maybe DS is starting to teeth? We don't see much sign of teeth yet, but who knows. Is this a teething sign? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Default Re: Why is my baby wiping his face on my shoulder?

Sounds just like one of the weird baby things. My son has surly done some weird things that I will never understand over the past 14 months. All the best!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS does this, and I just figured it was one of those things babies do. He doesn't do it as often as yours seems to, and only to our shoulders, mostly when he is tired, not when he's nursing. He's also increased in the drool department. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this...

I have no clue why, but my DS, 13 weeks tomorrow, does exactly the same thing. She is always rubbing against my shoulder or chest if she is in the sling. I used to think that she was rooting, but that looks much different than this. I used to try and stop her because it looks like it would be uncomfortable to me, but she fought to keep doing it so now I just let her. She is also all of a sudden drooling everywhere!

well...at least if they are both doing it at the same age we can assume that it is normal right?
    Last edited by Mommyto3; July 14th, 2006 at 11:42 PM.

Mine has done this since the instant he was born. It doesn't matter if he is face down or face up. He rubs his face on everything. Hungry or not, crying or not, he just does it. Rubs his face on my shoulder, my arms, the bassinett, my bed, everything. If his face up, he tosses his head back and forth like he is rubbing his face in the air.........It seems like he is frustrated to me, but when I move him he seems even more frustrated. It must be a comforting, one of those things babies do..................

My DD does this too! DH and I have gone through a myriad of theories as to what is causing her to do it. Tired (she even does it in her sleep or when just waking up), teething, hungry, thrush (which we had for 3 months), allergies, etc ... But could never figure it out. We even asked the ped about it, to which she replied, "It's just an unexplained baby thing they sometimes do!" At least it's comforting to know she's not the only one!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My DS has always done this as well. He's 2 and he still does it sometimes. I think sometimes he has an itch, sometimes he's tired (kind of like rubbing eyes when tired), sometimes he's just snuggling, and sometimes--who knows?

My 7 m/o daughter does the same thing. Either when tired before falling asleep, or after waking up. She also does it when she's hungry. It's funny that it's so common.

my 13 wk old does the same thing i just figured it was his way of rubbing his eyes b/c he usually does it when he is fighting off sleep

I am so glad to know that my baby is not the only one. My 1st did not do this so I was getting a little concerned.......not anymore. I love you Mothers, it makes me feel so much better when I get on here and realize we are "normal"