Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok to feed when bleeding from the breast?

Default Ok to feed when bleeding from the breast?

I've been back to work for two weeks and pump when I'm not home. Today I noticed some blood from my right nipple after pumping. Is it ok to feed my 2 month old from my right breast if I'm bleeding? I don't have pain, its not red, and its not swollen. I have no idea what could be wrong or if maybe I caused some trauma to my nipple when I was pumping. There was a small amount of blood in the milk I pumped and I'm wondering if its ok to feed my baby?

Default Re: Ok to feed when bleeding from the breast?

Yes, it's fine for you to keep feeding the baby It sounds like you may have an internal injury in your breast?? It is possible that it happened from pumping. If it continues, I would maybe call an LC just to see what's going on, but blood is not going to harm your baby. Also, don't let it alarm you when your LO spits up a little pink, as it's your blood not your babys.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

It only takes a few drops of blood to tint your milk a very shocking color! In the absence of pain or other symptoms, I would guess that the blood is probably coming from a tiny broken blood vessel. These usually heal completely by the next time you need to nurse or pump.

Some moms notice that they get bloody milk when they pump too aggressively. You might want to try starting your pump on the lowest setting, and then gradually turning it up.

Bloody milk is perfectly fine to feed to your baby. If you leave it in the fridge for a while, the blood will separate out and you can pour the milk off the top.

I had broken a blood vessel from not latching Ava right. It took mine about a week to completely heal. They would start to scab over and she would suck so hard that it would open them again. I remember her spitting some of it out and it completely freaked me out at first. But my LC had said it was fine and to keep nursing her.

Thank you for the replies. I must have had my pump set too high. I was trying to pump as fast as I could since I was at work (I work for the fire department). I was trying to get it done before we got another call so I turned my pump up higher then I usually pump. It didn't hurt so I didn't think it was an issue. So far I haven't had any bleeding since so I hope thats all it was.