Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No period after 2 years!

Default No period after 2 years!

I gave birth to my second daughter just about 2 years ago, and my period has not returned yet. My daughter still nurses VERY often during the day and night. I know I should be rejoicing about not having a period, but I'm actually quite concerned - we would like to try for #3 but have no way of knowing if this is normal or not. I'm wondering if I am "broken," or if the frequency and duration of the nursing is influencing my fertility.... Any thoughts? Thanks!

Default Re: No period after 2 years!

Hi there,
    I have been nursing Thomas for 14 months and no sign of a period yet. I was just at my annual and ask my doctor that very same question and she said that it is completely normal. Some women do not get there period back while they are nursing and some do after only a few weeks. Every mom is different. They say that if you can night wean your fertility is more likely to return, and you could even maybe be dropping a stray egg and not know it? My OB's advice, lot's of unprotected sex. I would say that you are just fine, and also if you are ready to put some healthy limits on bfing your toddler in order to try and get your fertility back I would say there would be no problem with that. All the best!

This book is wonderful:

Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley

Do you feel completely 'normal' otherwise? Low thyroid can cause irregular/no periods. But I also have heard that it is common for many women to resume their periods only once they have weaned their child.

The articles here may be helpful to you, K&Msmom.

Fertility

Mary

Red face Re: No period after 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by K&Msmom
    I gave birth to my second daughter just about 2 years ago, and my period has not returned yet. My daughter still nurses VERY often during the day and night. I know I should be rejoicing about not having a period, but I'm actually quite concerned - we would like to try for #3 but have no way of knowing if this is normal or not. I'm wondering if I am "broken," or if the frequency and duration of the nursing is influencing my fertility.... Any thoughts? Thanks!
    My periods resumed (with six children) between 11 months and 2 years, when I was tandem nursing two daughters. In the midst of a move, I was actually sad at the return.
    Be assured yours is normal with the frequency of nursing, but be aware that fertility can resume (rarely before a first period) while still nursing. I'd recommend Shiela Kippley's book, Natural Child Spacing, if you haven't read it.

My baby is nearing two and I've yet to have a return of my period for the same reason. All the research I've done on it (and I've done a ton--research is a BIG hobby of mine) says that this is perfectly normal.

With my first child my period returned after I went off the Depo-provera shot at a year and a half, so I figured the shot had more to do with my lack of period than the breastfeeding. I had a return of my period with #2 after about 6 mo. This is great, not having one for two years. No more cramps and period supplies!

As said here, going 6 hours without bf at night can bring you back to ovulation. Sometimes less than that. Every person is different.

My period just returned. My daughter is 23 months and still nursing pretty frequently.

I started menstruating 21 months PP.

I also read Kippley's book. The first part is very good, but then... I thought it was very disapointing: that a child should be taught to be quiet in church, what does that have to do with BF & fertility?!

I'd recommend Kippley's book for the first part and Tony Weschler's Taking Charge Of Your Fertility for the practice.
    Weschler's book is unvelievably good!

Hi I have twins of 34 months and I still have not had a period but they do feed a lot still.

Louise