Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4.5 month old nursing every hour

Default 4.5 month old nursing every hour

Hi ladies. I'm at my wits end. It's been a week and I'm running on only dreams of sleep. My lo is wanting to nurse pretty much every hour at night, and now it's been in the daytime too. Isn't 4.5 mths too late/soon for a growth spurt?

I've tried giving her some rice cereal, but out of the 5 or 6 times I gave it to her, 2 times she got such a bad belly ache and ended up vomiting until she was empty then dry heaved for about 4 hours each time. I'm not sure what to do.

I'm tempted to supplement with formula, she's just been so fussy lately and always hungry. But I'd really love to keep her EBF, any suggestions for a tired mama?

Default Re: 4.5 month old nursing every hour

Poor tired mama! Those growth spurts are a doozy!
    4.5 months is most definitely NOT too late for rapid growing. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html Every hour is difficult. How long has it been going on now?

Some informational reading on solids and sleep: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html
    Some more information on starting solids: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

About a week for the hourly night time nursings and now it's been a couple days that she's started it in the daytime too. Thanks for the article, there's a lot of good info there. I think the one thing that sticks out for me is teething. She shows a lot of signs for that. I just thought that most teethers refuse or fuss at the breast b/c it hurts the gums. And yep, she does that too. She's been chewing and drooling for months now, I wish the tooth would just pop through, I feel so bad for her.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasxmom View Post
    About a week for the hourly night time nursings and now it's been a couple days that she's started it in the daytime too. Thanks for the article, there's a lot of good info there. I think the one thing that sticks out for me is teething. She shows a lot of signs for that. I just thought that most teethers refuse or fuss at the breast b/c it hurts the gums. And yep, she does that too. She's been chewing and drooling for months now, I wish the tooth would just pop through, I feel so bad for her.
    Have you tried orajel on her gums? That helped a ton with my daughter. After using it we learned that she wasn't hungry every hour. She just wanted something to comfort her. My daughter will be 5 months on Saturday and she started it at about 4 months and we still use the orajel occassionally for her.