Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply low after surgery

Default Milk supply low after surgery

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I have posted anything here. BF is going great for us. I just passed my 6 month goal this past Monday!

Well, Monday I had to have emergency surgery to have my appendix removed and to top that off I had mastitis last week. Yea, it has been a couple fun weeks... Oh yea, and I had to pump and dump for 24 hrs after the operation. I dumped about 20 oz. That just killed me!

My supply has dipped some and I was wondering if it was because of the mastitis and having to go in for surgery.

I am on medical leave for 2 weeks. During this time I plan on pumping every hour during the day when he is at daycare. DC only get the breast at night so I know that will help too. Is there anything else I can do? I might leave the baby home with me next week so I can nurse all day instead of pump but I need to get my freezer stash back up and it also depends on how I am feeling.

Thanks everyone!

Jen
    Lenny III - 2004
    Frankie - 2005
    Baby Gary - 2007
    Breastfeeding Baby Gary for 26 weeks!!!
    I Reached My Second Goal of Breastfeeding - 6 MONTHS!!!

Default Re: Milk supply low after surgery

Wow, what a rough week!

Having surgery can definitely affect your milk supply. Did you lose much blood? How are you feeling now? Still have mastitis? What a bummer for you!!!

When you pump what sort of pump are you using? Using any breast compressions? Resting your self?

How often is baby nursing now?

I am usuing a Medela PISA double pump during the day and I nurse on demand. Yesterday was our first day home and he nursed 4 times. He sleeps through the night so no eaing then. No breast compressions.

I am resting during the day and I actually feel really good. The mastitis pain itself is gone but I still have antibiotics that I was told to finish. I don't think I lost aot of blood. The doctors did't say anything to me.

Today he ate 2, 6 oz bottles at school and I only pumped 8 oz today. I usually pump 16 - 20 oz.
    Lenny III - 2004
    Frankie - 2005
    Baby Gary - 2007
    Breastfeeding Baby Gary for 26 weeks!!!
    I Reached My Second Goal of Breastfeeding - 6 MONTHS!!!

Easy does it! Surgery is a huge shock to the body. I wouldn't expect my body to pick up where it left off immediately. The breast isn't a hose you turn off and on. It is a sensitive and responsive system. The emptier the breast is, the faster it fills back up. You must allow the body to heal, to recuperate and get back to normal. Try some breast compressions, this is what I am talking about: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html Drink plenty of water, and bf as often as possible. A baby is far more effective at milk removal than a pump. A baby uses compression and suction, a pump just uses suction.
    (hence the breast compressions we have discussed)
    Give your body a week or more to understand what is needed, and keep breast feeding your baby!

Hello

I am so sorry for what happened to you.
    First I am glad that you are feeling better
    Second I know how you feel, I just came out of the hospital for a very bad mastitis and had to dump so much milk as well.
    Third don't worry about your milk suplly right now, just try to feel better and rest and your milk supply will get better as well.
    Please do not stress.
    Try <organic Mother's Milk Tea> from Traditional Medicinals or some sprouts.
    and please keep it mind that you have done a fantastic job and you are a loving Mom. You should be proud of you!
    I am feeling a little bit better and I can see my milk supply is coming back slowly but surely, not totally back to normal but almost. But I am trying to rest as much as I can, not easy between work and being a Mommy, but my husdand is helping a lot
    Please take care of yourself first! your kids need a healthy Mommy
    Celine (Pierre, 9 months)