Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White nipple

Default White nipple

Does anyone know why my L nipple will be white at the end (almost like the milk is stuck in there at the tip). It is not always like that, but today I have noticed it being white at the end after ds bf or I pump. He has not been eating very long off that side either-almost like he is frustrated with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA

Default Re: White nipple

Is the nipple painful? How does the shape of it look after nursing or pumping? Is there white blister looking things or is the pink of the nipple just white in color?

No, it's not painful at all. There is not any blisters. My nipple when pumping is just elongated after he eats the top is kind of flat. Yes, just where the pink is suppose to be, it is all white under that (at the very end, like I said almost like the milk is stuck at the end of my nipple)

It sounds like possibly a milk bleb ...

Milk Duct Obstruction

It talks about different types of milk duct obstructions.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Does the white go away after a bit, and does it ache at all? Could be nipple blanching... here's a good resource

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

(Edited to add: the flatness at the top sounds like he might be biting down on the nipple)

Niks mom, thanks for the info. I am thinking it is nipple blanching. I was paying more attention to both sides after feeding, and they both do it, but the left does it worse. I know it is not a milk bleb, b/c I have had them before. That is like a small white pimple on the nipple.
    I am wandering if I should have a LC come check out ds' latch. I have been thinking his latch is not as good as it used to be, he used to cover more of my aereola than he is now. Maybe that will fix the problem. But there are times I feel like he is "biting" down. Would the LC be able to tell me that also?
    I am just wandering if this has any effect on how much milk he is getting. DS is gaining weight, but not as much as the pedi would like to see. He was 7lb 7 oz at birth, his weight dropped to 6 lb 2 oz with jaundice. At his 4 mo check up he was 10 lb 12 oz and at his 6 mo he weighted in at 11 lb 11 oz. He is doing all age appropriate things and length and head circumference have great growth curve, but I am wandering if this nipple blanching is limiting his milk intake??????? who knows!!

It would probably be a good idea to check with an LC, but try not to worry too much about how much he is getting. She may be able to help you a bit more on the gaining issues too, and have some ideas. He sounds as though he is doing quite well otherwise!