Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I stop nursing???

Default Do I stop nursing???

I believe my 4 mo. old and I have a case of thrush, but right now I just don't know. I've had burning, shooting, stabbing intense pain throughout my right breast for a full 3 weeks. It's the worst after a feeding. I can barely take care of myself, much less my family. I am also at my wit's end and now seriously considering quitting entirely...or at least on that side. I nursed my first two kids with no thrush problems at all. I've tried megadoses of probiotics, along with the Dr. Newman's nipple ointment (made nipple stinging worse). Now on day 5 of fluconazole, along with probiotics. No sweets or wheat in my diet. Worse than ever this morning. The pain is so intense. I keep telling myself to suck it up for my daughter, but it really is beyond unbearable. Do I give up? I HATE the idea of giving her formula. We are also a non-vaccinating family, so I want to give her immune system the best possible start and breastfeed for as long as possible. She's never even had breastmilk in a bottle! HELP???!!!

Default Re: Do I stop nursing???

have you talked to your doctor about what to take for pain.
    If the pain is interfearing you realy sould take something! Don't be brave.

He said I can take up to 3 motrin at a time. I always do. Unfortunately, it doesn't even begin to touch the pain. I haven't nursed her on that side since 4am...now 12:45pm. I'm afraid to.

I had the same deep stabbing pain and pins and needles and burning... It went on for almost two months, so I definitely feel your pain! Turns out I also had a low grade breast infection that was amplifying the thrush symptoms. I took antibiotics with diflucan and those nasty symptoms cleared in 4-5 days and went away completely before the bottle of antibiotics (which I finished, of course).

I've had one flare up of thrush ( made yeast rolls, D'OH!) and easily contained it with gentian violet and lotrimin cream in three days. Once cleared, all your preventive tools will work.

Go to your doctor and request a milk culture or antibiotics that are effective against bacteria that are on the skin that could have gotten into your milk ducts. My doc said a milk culture wouldn't be necessary unless a round of antibiotics didn't work. I resisted taking the antibiotics for 6 weeks, and suffered terribly. WOW it made a big difference.

And I know what you really want is a cure.

jenn07
    thanks for sharing what worked for you!

Thank you for your helpful replies. I talked to another lactation consultant yesterday, and she is convinced that it is not thrush at all!!! She said that very often, the most severe cases of diagnosed inter-ductal thrush actually have been found to have no yeast present. These cases are now being diagnosed with subclinical mastitis...basically just severe mastitis without the typical symptoms. Apparently only certain antibiotics will kick it. So, they are most likely going to prescribe dicloxicillin. I'm praying that this will work. I tried to google subclinical mastitis, and only found information on cattle and goats. Funny.

Here's an article that lists the bacteria usually involved and what antibiotics treat it best. You might have more luck searching for that. http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=33&Itemid=61

I too have hear of moms treating for thrush for MONTHS before taking antibiotics and getting it cleared up.

Eek! Good luck with whatever it is that's causing you pain. I don't really have advice other than to KEEP NURSING! That's the best thing you can do for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmary72 View Post
    Thank you for your helpful replies. I talked to another lactation consultant yesterday, and she is convinced that it is not thrush at all!!! She said that very often, the most severe cases of diagnosed inter-ductal thrush actually have been found to have no yeast present. These cases are now being diagnosed with subclinical mastitis...basically just severe mastitis without the typical symptoms. Apparently only certain antibiotics will kick it. So, they are most likely going to prescribe dicloxicillin. I'm praying that this will work. I tried to google subclinical mastitis, and only found information on cattle and goats. Funny.
    My Dr. won't even have me seen, but she prescribed that exact antibiotic! I've been on it for 4 days, and the 1st 3 I was great, yesterday the pain came back full force I'm starting to think mine really is thrush and not mastitis

Hopefully they'll fix you up soon

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmary72 View Post
    First the good news: If it's infection, antibiotics will work almost immediately. You'll probably be feeling better in just a couple days. Make sure you take ALL the antibiotics so the infection doesn't come back!

The bad news: Antibiotics are notorious for causing yeast infections in women. In other words, you may have subclinical mastitis that you THOUGHT was thrush but in the next few weeks, as a result of treating the mastitis you may end up GETTING thrush! So unfair.

I just started antibiotics today for mastitis. When I talked to my nurse practitioner yesterday, I asked her about preventing thrush because the last time I took this particular antibiotic (Keflex) I got a horrible yeast infection. She prescribed Diflucan, if I need it, but suggested taking a staggered course of Monostat, taking one dose every two days, to try and hold the yeast at bay. I'm doing the Monostat and eating live culture yogurt and holding off on the Diflucan for now. As difficult as it is, I'm also cutting sweets out for the next couple weeks. That's hard because we Jews have a holiday tomorrow for which sweets are traditional and I'm up to my ears in cookies as a result!

I really hope the drugs work for you!

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.