Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedi vent - and weight gain questions

Unhappy Pedi vent - and weight gain questions

My daughter is 8 weeks old today, and has not regained birth weight. She's kind of stalled out on weight gain right now. Not gaining, but not losing.

My pedi had them draw blood today (horrible experience!) to run tests. What can cause the really slow weight gain? Anyone know? I just want to have an idea of what I could expect them to say.

She is a happy baby. Smiles at me constantly. She eats every two hours, and is taking in around 2 oz (per the daycare). For her weight - 6 lbs 13 oz - thats normal, but way low for her age. The pedi gave me a horrible look too when I told her that.

So now they want me to give formula for two days and pump because of a "milk intolerance". I've never heard of this. I always thought babies were never allergic to their mothers milk.

I'm ready to switch pediatricians. I'm just getting so frustrated with them. They seem to want to blame to bf. For a while I was sure it was me, that I was having low supply issues. But if she's taking in what I can pump, then I seem to be fine. It makes me sad that there might be something wrong with my little girl, but glad that hopefully we'll get to continue our bf relationship.

Default Re: Pedi vent - and weight gain questions

Is she 8 weeks and weighing 6 lbs 13 oz?

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by chaosandlove View Post
    My daughter is 8 weeks old today, and has not regained birth weight. She's kind of stalled out on weight gain right now. Not gaining, but not losing.

My pedi had them draw blood today (horrible experience!) to run tests. What can cause the really slow weight gain? Anyone know? I just want to have an idea of what I could expect them to say.

She is a happy baby. Smiles at me constantly. She eats every two hours, and is taking in around 2 oz (per the daycare). For her weight - 6 lbs 13 oz - thats normal, but way low for her age. The pedi gave me a horrible look too when I told her that.

So now they want me to give formula for two days and pump because of a "milk intolerance". I've never heard of this. I always thought babies were never allergic to their mothers milk.

I'm ready to switch pediatricians. I'm just getting so frustrated with them. They seem to want to blame to bf. For a while I was sure it was me, that I was having low supply issues. But if she's taking in what I can pump, then I seem to be fine. It makes me sad that there might be something wrong with my little girl, but glad that hopefully we'll get to continue our bf relationship.
    A few things...since I am not exaclty sure what she weighs. its very Unlikely that your baby is allergic to your milk... what evidence do they have of that besides poor weight gain? Does she have eczema, bloody mucusy stools etc? Peds say that all the time and it makes me so angry. Its very very unlikely. Are you involved with you local LLL??? I would call a local leader and tell them your story and see if they can help you. Does she seem satisfied after feedings??? How is her diaper output?? Its possible that you can't produce enough since you are working and pumping but I don't think you need to switch her to formula completely. Did you try nursing her in the evenings and then offering her a bottle of pumped milk afterwards and see how much she will take??

- You are doing a good job. Don't stop nursing.... ill write more after I hear back from you on her current weight.

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

Current weight is 6 lbs 13 oz.

She has no symptoms of any sort of allergy, no throwing up, no bloody stools.

She has normal amounts of wet and dirty diapers too. She just isn't gaining weight.

I've talked with my local LLL and with a lactation consultant.

She is a happy content baby most of the time. She has her moments though. She eat, nap, and then wake up and be all smiley for 30 minutes. She a happy baby.
    Last edited by chaosandlove; March 19th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah, sounds like they may be misinformed about the milk intolerance thing. I'd definiteky get a second opinion from someone knowledgeable about BF.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I would also try to get another opinion. I'm no physician, but to me it sounds like either an issue with her ability to absorb fat, or the fat content in your milk supply.... Have either of those been explored/ talked about?

Also, do you know what your weight/weight gain was like, and that of her father? I know one of my nieces hardly gained weight (still only weighs 30 pounds at 5 years) and her mother was the same way when she was a baby...no known health problem, just super small as youngsters...

Babies should regain their birth weight by 2 weeks, so at 8 weeks I would say there is probably cause for concern. I don't think, however, your pedi's "solution" is probably the best option though. I would personally get a second opinion and really be looking for a physical issue with baby (rather than a milk issue.) Not to scare you, just to share information, but sometimes heart problems can cause slow weight gain. Might be something to look into.

I'm ready to accept now that there may be something wrong with her. It sucks, but there might be.

My LC brought up the fat content in my milk. I haven't checked it yet, so I'm not sure. I can never pump very much, so for say 2ounces, how much fat should be noticeable on the top?

I think I was a pretty fat baby. Her dad is 6' 4" and skinny as can be. She could be starting off after him. I'm getting so tired of the comments on how little she is. She's little, but she looks healthy. She doesn't look malnurished at all. I've started just telling people that she watching her figure already.
    Last edited by chaosandlove; March 20th, 2008 at 07:16 AM.

I'm sorry your having a tough time.

How often is she nurisng in 24 hours?
    Sleeping all night?

Sometimes just adding a few extra feeds helps alot with weight gain.
    heres a kelly mom link to weight gain that might help
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

6 lbs for a 8 week old baby is really tiny and a cause for concern. Again I doubt that your milk is the problem. I would try to nurse as much as possible and explore what someone else mentioned about her having a problem absorbing fat. Find a new doc too. I don't think being allergic to your milk is her problem. Its sounds like they need to check her liver and pancreatic enzyes etc..
    GL

My Daily Blog