Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful letdown and other questions...

Question Painful letdown and other questions...

I'm not even sure what letdown feels like, as I never felt anything the first couple of months after my son was born. Then after a couple of months I started feeling a hard aching sort of pain deep up in my breasts on and off. Now, at almost 3 months that kind of pain has subsided almost completely, but has been replaced with a nasty burning tingling sensation that's concentrated around the nipple region, again occurring on and off during the day. What is all of this??

And another thing... will the leaking get better?? I'm a bit tired of being soaked! Should I be able to feel something before I start to leak to clue me in to take cover or get baby?

Also, how horrible is it for me to go without a bra most of the day everyday? Am I going to end up causing any tissue damage by not having any support? I'm looking into getting a light support bra, as the nursing bras I have are underwire contraptions with snaps, and are entirely too uncomfortable to wear around the house all day, not to mention it's just easier to feed baby without one on at all.

THANKS LADIES!!!!

Default Re: Painful letdown and other questions...

sounds like thrush?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun93p83.html

maybe you just need to go someplace that will fit a good bra for you, most ladies are using the wrong size. I don't think it would hurt to go with out one.

I get a tingly, warm feeling in my breasts when I am letting down and sometimes it can be very uncomfortable (not exactly painful). I can feel it throughout the day especially around the time DS usually eats (it's like my breasts have an alarm clock and they "go off" to remind me to feed if DS hasn't).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Definitely sounds like thrush. For me the best description of the pain was a "ground glass" feeling on the nipples, and a shooting, hot needle like pain throughout my breast. It seemed worst at night, and after a nursing session ended.

Regarding the leaking, it should get better at about 4 months time. My LLL told me it was around that time that our hormone levels will even out and our bodies will get more efficient and start to produce just enough milk according to what our babies actually need. But some moms (me being one of them) with an over abundant supply will still leak. I'm not soaking through every pad and shirt like I was though. I used to wake up in literal puddles of milk in the morning. That was no fun! I rarely feel anything to warn me that I'm about to let down and leak. Usually it's my husband giving me a funny look that clues me in that my shirt is soaked again. LOL!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

i too have started having painful letdowns amongst other problems right now don't have a solution for you but you aren't alone

Sounds like Let-Down to me. I can always feel my let down and sometimes it is sort of painful, not really but more like a good pain. If that makes sense. Doesn't really hurt to the point of being uncomfortable, more like a pulling, stinging sensation from my chest to the areola of my breast. I like that I can feel that, then I know for sure that milk is flowing for my baby. I've always worn a bra during the day, but never at home and never on weekends!!! But now, I haven't been w/out one since DS was born 12 wks ago. My breasts are sore if I don't wear one and my let down causes both sides to leak, so if he's nursing then one side of my shirt (or me) gets all wet while he nurses. And, I even sleep in a bra still, because I hate lying in a wet spot. I'm just hoping that will eventually regulate, I tried it braless today to see and no luck.

When I said it sounded like you possibly had thrush ... maybe I was confused about when you were experiencing the pain? Is it only when you are nursing (i.e., when you are letting down), or when you let down and leak? Or is it on and off all day regardless of what you are doing? Thrush hurt me at all times, not just while nursing ... it was actually worse after nursing when my breasts were "refilling" for lack of a better term. And my nipples hurt so bad that even clothes against them made me want to cry. So, if it's happening only when your milk is actually letting down, then disregard all the thrush talk!

I agree with Dawn about liking being able to tell when my milk lets down. I didn't feel that until about month 3. It's nice to be able to actually know for sure my milk is flowing freely for my little girl, especially when she's really hungry and anxious to eat ... when I feel the let down I can say, "There you go, sweetie!"

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

OH! I'm so thankful for all your posts! It doesn't usually hurt at all while I'm nursing him, I think it hurt once while he was nursing. The pain is just a short lived pain, it doesn't continue on and on, it just sort of jabs me and then goes away. It does feel like it starts from the inside of the breast, and pulls out towards the nipple. My nipples are not sore, except sometimes late in the day when I'm tired, and then only while he's nursing, they're not sore to touch at all.

I'm soooooo glad the leaking might subside in another month or two. I'll soak through those little nursing pads in a heartbeat. I soaked two cloth diapers last night!! I'm thinking about making my own nursing pads out of cloth diapers. I've started doubling up on them if I'm going out. I don't have any warning before I'm soaked!

I'm thinking about buying a few leisure bras from the Expressiva website. The nursing bras I have are like industrial harnesses or something. I gotta be more free than they allow me to be!! I'm pretty sure they're too small now.