Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is she allergic?

Default Is she allergic?

I wrote about a week ago about my 9mo not being interested in solids. That day I tried her with some avocado. I don't think that she actually ingested any, but she did get some on her chin. The next day her chin was red. On Friday I decided to try her with some mango. Everytime she put it in her mouth she spit it out. So I grabbed a banana and gave her a hunk of that. She winced everytime she put some in her mouth. The banana ended up getting pretty soft and she smeared some by her eye. Well, her skin got all red around the eye. That night she was up screaming and itching. She has always had dry skin and always been an itcher, but this was way worse. I finally got up with her about 4AM because I was afraid she was itching herself raw. Her face was all red I read about eczema and it seems that she fits that. Anytime I have tried lotions on her dry skin they have made things worse. At the suggestion of Ask Dr Sears I tried Aquafor and that seems to be helping her. So, last night we were having sweet potato fries for dinner. I thought I would try her on some. She actually seemed to not totally hate them. Well, she has been up fussing all night. Lots of itching again. And it can't just be normal dry skin because I put lotion on her before bed. She has had gas and it is stinky. She couldn't have eaten more than an 1/4 of a teaspoon, but her gas smells like she ate the whole tray of sweet potatoes. Also, her chin and cheeks are red. This is probably where the sweet potato had the most contact. The sweet potatoes were unadulterated except for some olive oil to keep them from sticking to the tray.

Is this child just allergic to everything? I am totally afraid to try her on anything else because these sleepless nights are horrible. She is so sad and uncomfortable. I plan to put a call into the ped this AM and get his take on this, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Is it possible that she isn't interested in solids because she has some food sensitivities? Oh, and btw, I haven't noticed any real issues with what I eat, but maybe I just need to pay more attention.

Thanks for any insight.

Beth

Default Re: Is she allergic?

I strongly think that you should get an appointment with the allergist, please post in the allergy forum, there are plenty of mamas there who are more than willing to help.
    I hope your daughter gets well soon.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."