Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Signs of low milk supply?

Default Signs of low milk supply?

Hi everyone - hoping someone can give me some advice.

My ds is 7 weeks old, and we've had bf issues since day one. To make a long story short, he finally has mastered the art of the latch, and is able to breast feed without a shield almost every time now (for the last 3 weeks). I've had plenty of milk since the beginning and still seem to have an overactive letdown. When we feed, I feel my milk letting down several times. He is a very quick eater, only a few minutes on each side maximum. However, I have noticed in the last couple of days my breasts have really shrunk signficantly - I only really noticed b/c all of a sudden my bras are so loose, and my breasts don't feel nearly so full. I can't still see milk spraying out of my breasts when I squeeze them - can't pump what I used to be able to when I was pumping 5 or 6 times a day, but this morning for example I pumped 4 ounces twice. I can usually pump 5-6 ounces most mornings, which I have to do b/c my ds can't latch on too well overnight when my breasts become too full.

I don't seem to have any other sign of low supply other than the sudden 'shrinking' of my breasts. Baby still has plenty of wet/poopie diapers. He has never been a good eater, so its hard to say whether anything has changed there since he is soooo inconsistent - every day is a completely different experience in the feeding department. On average, he is still eating 7 to 8 times a day. Could this just be my body finally adapting to the supply and demand of my son? (especially since I seemed to have an over abundance before?).

Anything else I should be watching out for that might indicate a supply issue?

Any and all advise is appreciated...

Thanks!
    Lisa

Default Re: Signs of low milk supply?

It could just be your body and breasts adjusting to the baby. I remember my breasts feeling more full than they do now when my DD was younger.

Default Re: Signs of low milk supply?

it can take your body a few weeks to get rid of all that extra fluids from being pg and having the baby. More so if they pumped you full of iv fluids.
    most moms notice some changes around 6-8 weeks.