Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing Solids

Default Refusing Solids

Alright - couple weeks ago - my 11month old got the flu. naturally all he wanted was to nurse and I let him - but now he wont really eat solids. He'll eat some fruit in the morning - or play with table food - but he is suddenly not very interested in EATING any.

How can I get him back into eating some solids? I am plannin on going back to work and I want to make sure he is eating something besides breastmilk =/

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Refusing Solids

You know the old saying...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Same thing here. Just keep offering. If he's just now feeling better, his appetite will come back slowly. The stomach "shrinks" a bit when it's not eating due to illness, so his hunger sensation is at bay. It will return. I wouldn't worry until it's been a week since he got well and he's still not interested. I know after I'm sick, it takes me a while to get my appetite back. He's been used to nursing to satisfy hunger and to feel better, so he's just still in that mindset.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

its been almost 3 weeks - he nurses well - and will snack on the occasional cracker or rice cake - but anything more substantial all he wants to do is play with it or feed it to the cats. Heck half the time he screams and turns away when I try to offer anything other the said cracker or rice cake.

Has he started eating solids again? Just curious because I'm experiencing the same problem. My 10mo old had a cold/virus for a week and nursed all the time and couldn't eat well b/c he was so stuffed up. Now he refuses to eat anything other than a little cereal in the morning and the occasional rice cracker. He protests and cries if I try to feed him anything else. I had his ears checked--no infection, so I'm not sure what the deal is. He's only in the 50th percentile for weight, so I'm worried that he not do this for too long. )-: I even give him finger foods--bread bits, cheerios, etc. and he's not as keen on feeding himself as he used to be.