Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many mom's pump at work past one year?

Default Re: How many mom's pump at work past one year?

Can she still take it from a bottle past a year?

Ive seen plenty of babies that are drinking formula with a bottle past a year.
    I don't see anything wrong with it!
    I'm sure you would get some slack from your doctor but what do they know about being a baby?

i've seen toddlers approaching 2 that still use bottles! i plan to continue with bottles for at least a couple more months, then phase out to sippy cups. right now dd gets bottles for her regular feedings and a sippy cup for snacks. she drinks well with a sippy but not as much as she does with a bottle. with a sippy she is more likely to just rinse her mouth out. i can't tell exactly how much she drinks. this is my fault because i taught her without using the valve and she takes really big gulps of water.

Yes....I thought most who still BF would use bottles. DD uses sippys at mealtimes and snacks..she likes to throw them off of her tray and like Maya's Mom, I wasn't sure how much she actually drank. I think I will do what Maya's Mom said and continue a little while longer...I am sure our girls will mature into drinking their BM out of a sippy. By the way...our dd's are only a day apart!

Sorry so late to reply.

Megan

Sorry; jumping back in after several days of hosting lots of inlaws!
    Yes.... there was a "thank your boss" thread several months back. I know I babbled alot over there, too!

Re: bottles and sippy cups.... DS's pediatrician has a THING about bottles not being used after 12 months. She borders on rabid about this...and brought it up with us at the 9 month check-up that we should be DONE with bottles by 12 months. Well, we were down to only two per day - before J's naps when I'm not there, since the nanny (or DH) were still giving him milk - some combo of breast and cow - before naps. And we more or less decided to kind of stay at that pace. At the 15-month check, pediatrician was not happy that we were still at 2 bottles per day.... talked about issues with teeth, with dependency on bottle, etc., etc. So, we more or less figured we try to work with J to get him more onto his sippy cups for his milk - which was going OK, but not totally consistent. Our nany opted to try cold-turkey (!) and just not give him a bottle with his milk and only give in in his sippy - and wouldn't you know, it worked. He hasn't had a bottle since.

Granted.... we got lucky because we had stumbled, after some trial and error, onto sippy cups that work for J. For water, he uses really simple "the first years" cups. These are not leak-proof at all and - as I found out the hard way in the supermarket last week - if LO throws them just right...the lid will pop off....flood city. But J only gets water in these. (He never would drink milk out of them when we tried.) The cups that he likes for milk are the Avent Naturally cups. These come in two varieties that I've seen...the 'training' cups that have a rubbery spout and handles that can be removed and a more 'advanced' and larger version w/out the handles an with a hard spout. DS does great with both of these. These have much less leak potential and are a safer bet with things like milk. J also likes the evenflow hard plastic sippy cup - these leak more than the avents, though.....

OK....just some data...maybe it will be of use!
    -linda

DD is about 19 months now, and I am pumping 3X a day at work, and sending about 6oz to daycare. Some days she gulps it all down, other days, theres 1/2 left over. I don't mind pumping!

Smile Re: How many mom's pump at work past one year?

Thank you so much for asking this question - it is the reason I joined this site! My daughter is 15 months and we are still bf. I am a teacher and pumped beyond her first year until summer but am unsure if I should send cow milk (not yet introduced) at the start of the year or continue bf. She only had a bottle at daycare so she no longer uses them, only cups now. She started to loose interest in the bottle around 11 months so this was a given. I teach in a male dominated dept and have been using co-workers (men) offices and don't want to overuse my welcome. I am the first mom in my dept in 30+ years (lots of new dads) so there are no feet to follow. After reading all of your posts I think I will continue pumping and see what she is interested in at daycare. Thank you