Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids in a 3 month old

Red face Starting Solids in a 3 month old

Hi -
    I've got a 3.5 month old (my third, so I'm old hand at starting solids) and I know most people here are not pro solid starters until 6+ mos, but I've got a bit of a different baby. My 3.5 month old is already 22 lbs, almost 30 inches long. He's asking to nurse pretty much every 2 hours during the day, and the same at night. He has only one stretch from 7 to 10 that he can go more than two hours BF. And yes, he's exclusively BFd. When we eat dinner, he watches us and drools. Then, he gets mad after having to sit there and watch us eat. As soon as the food is gone from the table he stops drooling and stops crying and carrying on. Also, I'm not doing well parenting my older sons because I'm so tired at night from waking to feed him (10 PM, 12PM, 2 AM, 4 AM, 6 AM). I've developed insomnia where I can't fall back asleep between the 2 and 4 AM feeding. DH is out of town all week so can't help at all with the older sons, so I'm literally barely surviving on about 4.5 hours of sleep a night. Also, I'm losing weight at about a pound a week, already below prepreg. weight...and I eat ice cream every night after dinner.

The question is this...is my little guy ready for food? I know the 'party line' but think about my particular situation before responding please.
    Thanks so much!
    Last edited by vkulli; March 18th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Default Re: Starting Solids in a 3 month old

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

The lining of the digestive tract is no where near complete at 3 mos. Usually not until around 6. Ounce for ounce, your breasmilk packs more calories and the right kind compared to many first foods.

I understand your stress, but unfortunately that doesn't make your LO's body develop any more quickly than the rest.

Please read the link.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

To answer your question... *I'd* say no - he's not "ready" yet.

Everything you mentioned sounds typical for that age - including the frequency of nursing. It's not proven reliable that introducing solids won't help baby sleep more/better/longer stretches.

Having said that it is your child and you must do what you feel is to be a benefit to him and the family as a whole.

Here and here you'll find great resources for starting solids

If you're concerned about your weight loss, and you know you're eating enough and healthy- you should call your HCP and have your thydoid and overall health checked.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree w the pp's, he's prob not ready yet. However, it wouldn't hurt to talk to your ped about your special situation. I know mine mentioned at 4 mos I could try cereal mixed w/breast milk and see if she still had the tongue thrust reflex, if so, wait and try later. I chose not to, but you might be different. His tongue reflex will make a big difference on whether it's an option, (if ok'd by your dr) if your son thrusts the food back out of his mouth with his tongue, he's definitely not ready to eat. Also, many posts on previous threads mention solids not helping their lo's sleep, in many cases it seems to get worse as they develop belly aches from not being ready digestively. Food for thought... (pardon the pun)

Do you cosleep? This may REALLY help you with the sleep deprivation and insomnia. You can feed him when he wants and barely wake up either if you. Cosleeping has kept me sane with a dd that still wakes up almost every 2 hrs at 10 mths old.

How about giving him formula before bed??? I know I know... not a good idea and I would never suggest it but in your case it might help him go a bit longer at night and allow you to get some sleep. I would think formula would be less harmful than solids at this age.
    And FYI my 9 month old still eats every 1-2 hours during the day...
    Keep up the good work mama. It wont last forever

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

i was wondering for anybody who might know....if a baby's body is developing faster if maybe the digestive tract might be more developed also??...
    i don't know anything about that and i've never asked a dr.

I actually started solids with my daughter at 3.5-4 months also. i just started with very small amounts of rice cereal with breast milk VERY thinned down pretty much all BM but she absolutely loved it, didn't spit it back out with her tounge at all and we never had any problems with spitting up or stomach upset. she was a little smaller than urs..she was a little more than 15 lbs at 3.5 months but was nursing every 1 - 1.5 hours during the day for at least 30 minutes at a time...so i'd only have about 30 minutes in btwn once she was done nursing before she'd nurse again. it was getting really hard getting anything done at all. she does however still wake up quite a bit during the night it really hasn't affected her sleeping patterns having cereal or pureed food, she does tend to wake up less often when she sleeps next to us. but ya, she should all the other signs of being ready also and i still believe she was, if she would have acted to it differently than she did i would have waited longer but she didn't...all babies are different and it's hard to say how yours will react. talk to ur baby doctor too..they might have some advice about it. this is just my experience tho, there are very good reasons to wait til 6 months.

Here's Dr. Newman's handout on starting solids.

One of the last things he says is:
    "...if there is not a good reason to start at 3 months, don’t. The most common legitimate reason to start earlier than five or six months of age is poor weight gain not corrected by correcting latch, using compression, switching back and forth, using domperidone."
    Because the OP's baby obviously doesn't need any help with weight gain, my opinion is to put it off.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Thank you all. I will wait on solids for a while. I just sometimes feel so overwhelmed, and of course as soon as I tell my mom or anyone else for that matter they go straight to "feed him". I think it's really common where I live to jump straight to the food option immediately.

No, I don't cosleep largely because I have wicked wild dreams where I am almost hallucinating that the baby is falling out of bed and I grope around the bed looking for him. I "sleep-imagine" that they fall before I can grab them. It's wild and scary and unpleasant to wake that way! My husband has actually woken me a few times before asking me what I am doing.

Just wanted to offer you a and remind you that things do get better...and soon! Hang in there.