Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ultra-sensitive gag reflex

Default ultra-sensitive gag reflex

Hi. My son, Alasdair, is about 8 1/2 months old. He's enjoyed some pureed foods (avocado, peas, sweet potato, and more), but when I offer him anything not really smoothly pureed, his gag reflex kicks in and he starts to gag and turn red just as soon as he puts the food in his mouth.
    I think it just sits on the back of his tongue until he spit it up.

My question: Should I just stick with the purees, and continue to offer "chunkier" foods slowly? Other than the infrequent solid, he is EBF.

thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Default Re: ultra-sensitive gag reflex

My son had that problem too. At 20 months he is still a bit gaggy but certainly better than before. Cottage cheese was the first chunky food he didn't gag on when I gave just 1-2 little chunks at the tip of his tongue. After that slowly he got used to chunks.

Default Re: ultra-sensitive gag reflex

I'm just bumping this in case more mamas can help out with some advice.

**another question: even if I decide to just cut down on solids altogether, should his gag reflex tone down as he gets older?

I'm considering slowing way down on solids and trying again when he's about 9 months, then every week. Just wondering if age helps something like this.

thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.