Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OUCH OUCH OUCH! Sore nipples at 4.5 months

Default OUCH OUCH OUCH! Sore nipples at 4.5 months

In the last week it seems as though my DD has forgotten how to latch on. My nipples are more sore now than they were in the first few weeks when we were having difficulty with her latch. My left nipple has a small scab and my right one has a tiny little blister. I didn't have problems like this in the beginning. We've been nursing without problems for months now.

The nipple with the scab on it seems like she gets mad with that breast and has pulled off and bitten me! She doesn't have any teeth yet, but OUCH that hurts!

The right breast, it's like she doesn't want to open her mouth up. She wants to "slurp" my nipple in like a straw. I hold back so that she will open her mouth, or I take her off the breast and make her start over, but she gets so upset she will scream and cry and not suck until I let her do it "her way".

I'm in a lot of pain, not sure what to do, but this now makes me want to wean her and put her on a bottle. How do I correct this? Why is she doing it? I know she is teething.

Please help!

Default Re: OUCH OUCH OUCH! Sore nipples at 4.5 months

You have the answer: she is teething! She's using your nipples to soothe her aching gums. OUCH!!!

Do your best with her latch- try to wait for that open mouth even if she's making a huge fuss. Offer her nice cool teethers- a damp washrag that has spent some time in the freezer is good to gnaw on. Momsicles- mesh feeders with frozen expressed milk in them- are supposed to be good, too.

Hang in there!!!

Momsicles...I've never heard of those. Is it those mesh feeders that you put fruit into? How do I get frozen milk into them? I use plastic Medela bottles to freeze milk. Do I just scoop it out?

OMG! My baby's 11 weeks and she tries to do the straw thing too! OUCH! She's not teething though, so she doesn't get mad or cry when I start over. I hope we'll get some good advice so I can know what to do also (especially once she starts teething).

Quote Originally Posted by catspage View Post
    Momsicles...I've never heard of those. Is it those mesh feeders that you put fruit into? How do I get frozen milk into them? I use plastic Medela bottles to freeze milk. Do I just scoop it out?
    I've actually never made a momsicle- maybe freeze some mommamilk in an ice cube tray and stick the cubes in the feeder?

I was going to post this same question! My LO is almost 11 weeks and my nipples are way more sore now than when we started.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks