Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had to feed her formula:(

Default I had to feed her formula:(

She would not stop crying, I dont know what to do. It is like I missed her growth spurt. I still have milk when she pulls off screaming because I can express some but she will not take it. We have breastfed for 5 months and then all of a sudden I am not producing enough or something. I know that every ounce of formula that I give her is telling my body that she does not need that so how can I make her nurse?

Leah 10/11/07

Default Re: I had to feed her formula:(

do you know for sure that you dont have enough? I have an overactive supply and i was sure I had an undersupply because my LO pulls off crying after about 5 min. Now I realize its because I have an overactive letdown and the fast flow sends the milk to her very quickly.

Unless there's more background info that i'm missing, don't be so sure you don't have enough for your LO. Your body should be able to adapt to a growth spurt - or else everyone who BF's would have to give formula during those times...

Hope you're able to find some answers....

Hi ,

It is possible that your little one is on a "nursing strike". That is something that usually has nothing to do with milk supply. Might she be teething? Has she been sick at all? Any new stresses in your family? Even something as simple as a new perfume or deoderant can put off some babies.

Here's a link to some more information on nursing strikes:http://www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html

Does any of this sound like what might be happening with your baby?

The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk is to monitor diaper output. (check the link in my siggy for more info). When baby is refusing to nurse, it is important to feed your baby in some way, but it doesn't need to be a bottle. A five month old might be ready for a sippy cup, with help, of course. It is also important to keep expressing your milk frequently, either with a pump or with hand/manual expression--at least as often as baby would normally be nursing. Some babies will not take expressed milk in a bottle, but might take it in a cup. Another alternative may be to mix a little bit of formula in with your expressed milk...some babies know where breastmilk is supposed to come from, and resist taking it in a different way.

I hope that helps. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

Tiana

No I dont think she is on a nursing strike. She will eagerly eat, I let down then about 3 min. later she comes off screaming, then she latches back on for 5 sec and then screams again, eventually she wont stop screaming so I burp her and try again and then she screams before she is even latched. Then she is fine. She plays and everything. But about 5 min. later she is so fussy, grabbing at me like she is starving but of course she wont eat on my breast. When we gave her the bottle she lunged for it and ate it like we had starved her for weeks. Her wet output is great and she has poop about everyother day. The only time she seems content is first feeding in the morning when I am fullest, the rest of the day my breasts feel pretty empty, but I read that, that is because your body is making just enough so they may be soft. Also the whole time she is eating she pulls on my breast like it is coming out way to slow, I do not have OALD, so I am sure it is too slow.

Leah 10/11/07

Have you tried breast compressions to keep her interested in the milk? Sometimes children get frustrated when the flow slows down. If you are still seeing milk come out, you are on the right track

How about teething? Has she cut any teeth yet?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I have felt the tip of the tooth for 2 months now, so I never know if she is teething. I tried compression, that did not help, if anything it made her more mad.

Leah 10/11/07

Quote Originally Posted by Leahsmom1011 View Post
    No I dont think she is on a nursing strike. She will eagerly eat, I let down then about 3 min. later she comes off screaming, then she latches back on for 5 sec and then screams again, eventually she wont stop screaming so I burp her and try again and then she screams before she is even latched. Then she is fine. She plays and everything. But about 5 min. later she is so fussy, grabbing at me like she is starving but of course she wont eat on my breast. When we gave her the bottle she lunged for it and ate it like we had starved her for weeks. Her wet output is great and she has poop about everyother day. The only time she seems content is first feeding in the morning when I am fullest, the rest of the day my breasts feel pretty empty, but I read that, that is because your body is making just enough so they may be soft. Also the whole time she is eating she pulls on my breast like it is coming out way to slow, I do not have OALD, so I am sure it is too slow.
    Sometimes they pull on the breast as a way to slow down the flow. So it may still be possible that you have OALD.

Could she have reflux? Maybe she is uncomfortable from gas or indigestion? Have you tried nursing her while you lay flat on your back? I've found this can help, whether it is OALD, gas, or even boredom!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Leahsmom1011 View Post
    I have felt the tip of the tooth for 2 months now, so I never know if she is teething. I tried compression, that did not help, if anything it made her more mad.
    If there are teeth coming in, then she is teething.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Popping on and off like that could be a sign of some kind of discomfort. Teething is the most likely cause. You might offer her a chilled teether to chew on before nursing to see if that would help. Something like a cold or ear infection could also be to blame.

Some mothers find to helpful to vary nursing positions--try a clutch/football hold, or sidelying position.

The fact the compressions made her more mad is intriguing to me. Usually, compressions are helpful in satisfying a baby who wants a faster flow of milk. I'm not sure what to make of your situation. When she nurses, do you see her little jaw moving? Do you hear sucking and swallowing sounds? These are indications that your milk is flowing and baby is actively drinking, whether or not you feel letdown.

Keep me posted.

Tiana

I have to wonder if your little girl might be a touch sick. I had a son who would get "symptom free" ear infections. He would get fussy and not eat well, but not run a fever or any other "symptom." Could she have fluid on her ears or an earache?

I wonder if the compressions making it worse could be from changing the pressure or shape of the breast in her mouth. My baby pops off when I use compression if I squeese too hard. I have to be carefull to keep my hand back away from his mouth so that I don't alter the shape of the breast at all.

My son started getting interested in everything going on around him at this age. In fact, I had to take him in a room alone to nurse with a fan on to block out noise from my other children. Now, he prefers to nurse in bed and doesn't nurse well when we are out and about. Could this be any part of it?

Do you have a pump? I know that some women don't pump well, but make sure you are pumping to keep removing milk and to reassure yourself of milk being there! Without pumping, you will have supply issues.

Don't worry, if it is low, it will come back up, with a little effort. This is not the end