Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay, I stopped.

Unhappy Okay, I stopped.

I stopped nursing my six month old about two weeks because I had no time to pump at work. I was just not getting enough milk. I am very disappointed in myself seeing how I nursed my other child until she was one and would have continued but got pregnant.

So a week ago I went down to only working two 12 hour shifts a week, but still seems like I have no time to pump. On Thursday of last week I did pump one ounce because my breast were hurting and I felt a lump. Now I think it is hopeless. Can anyone help? Is it too late to continue to give my baby EBM? What can I do to get my supply back up? Should I start popping fenugreek pills like crazy and pumping like crazy? Does anyone have a pumping system that has seemed to help their supply? Or should I just give it up?

Default Re: Okay, I stopped.

Check out this forum for tons of information.

It is never too late.

Women who have never been pregnant can lactate when they start telling their body it's time to make milk.

Good luck!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

At 6 months you have a well established supply and won't lose your milk in 2 weeks time. Your supply is probably a bit down but it's nothing you can't bounce back from if you're determined.

Can you rent a hospital grade pump? That is the best kind to use esp. to re-establish your supply.

Are you just pumping or also breastfeeding? If you're nursing, putting the baby to breast often will increase your supply.

Oatmeal and a well rounded diet will also help. I have found protein and green leafy vegetables wonderful in maintaining supply. Also make sure you're taking a multi-vitamin, if you're off the prenatals already.

Fenugreek works for some women, but not everyone. I have used it in the past, but had to take it in very large amounts. You might consider working with your OB/Pedi to get the correct dosage in your particular case. It's not a miracle by any means, and only works if you're extracting the milk quite often.

HTH! Keep us posted.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by Shareex View Post
    Is it too late to continue to give my baby EBM?
    No!

Quote Originally Posted by Shareex View Post
    What can I do to get my supply back up?
    It sounds like you already know what to do! Lots of fenugreek. Lots of oatmeal. Pump as frequently as you can, using a really good pump. Hospital-grade pumps are the best, and totally worth the money, IMHO. You might want to try power pumping- you pump both sides for 10 minutes, then rest for ten, then pump for ten, rest for ten, and pump for ten one more time for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way an infant feeds and boosts its mom's supply during a growth spurt.

HTH! You can do it!!!

Are you exclusively pumping, or only at work?

Remember that breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. No worries. You're doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    Are you exclusively pumping, or only at work?

Remember that breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. No worries. You're doing great!
    I could not tell from your post if you were an exclusive pumper or only pumped at work. You can nurse when you are with your lo even if you don't pump when apart! You also received great advice on increasing your supply. If you do want to pump, what are your problems with pumping? Do you not have a place to go? Maybe we could help brainstorm some suggestions for you if you do want to pump.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)