Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle strike

Default Bottle strike

For the past 3 months my daughter (7mths)has refused to take her milk from a bottle or a sippy cup. She has no problem drinking water from a bottle or cup. Does anyone have any advise?

Default Re: Bottle strike

How often does dd take a bottle? Is this while you are at work, or just occasionally? Is she now nursing more when you are with her? It would help to know these things before offering suggestions!

I stay at home so she only gets a bottle once in a while. We have to plan things around her feedings. For the most part this has worked, but I would like to take a college class and I don't leave her when she's not eating from a bottle.

I'm taking classes and my dh brings our son to school for my break. He won't take a bottle or sippy cup. But we recently learned he'll drink from a syringe.

I see! So you are thinking about getting away for a few hours to take a class and want to make sure she is ok and satisfied during that time. Makes sense!

She is now 7 months old, right? Is your class coming up soon? How long will you actually be away from her (total time with travel)? The PP suggestion of having dh bring her by to nurse is great if it works out logistically for you, but if that is not feasible there certainly are other options. If you planned to nurse her RIGHT before you walked out the door, and you weren't gone for more than a few hours, she might just wait for you to come back to get her next feeding.

Since you do not have to plan on her getting a lot of feedings will you are gone, I would suggest not pushing the bottle at this point. She is definitely old enough to take EBM from a cup. I know you said she won't drink it that way anymore. But, your dh might have more success once you are out of the house and on your way to class! Is she eating anything else at this point? If she is, that might help hold her over until you come home with the "good stuff"!

Also, knowing that dh has other ways to soothe her when you are gone will make leaving that much easier . So that if she is not interested in the cup, he can try the other things she likes and work to make her happy and content.

Keep us posted and enjoy yourself at your class!

Thanks for all your suggestions. DD is just starting to show an intrest in food. She enjoyed some sweet potatos last night. We was very excited for her. She my change her mind about the cup soon I don't know will see. Thanks again.

You are welcome! I hope things go well for you!