Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 month - weight check?

Default Re: 4 month - weight check?

At 4 months my dd heaviest weight was 10 lbs. 14 oz. I have had difficulty. She is a slow gainer. I finally get her to gain weight and she got a stomach virus. We ended up in the hospital for 1 week. We just got out Saturday. My dd will be 5 months tomorrow and her weight as of yesterday was 10 lbs. 3 oz. Don't worry too much. Your doing a great job. Marlene

TOTALLY fine. I forget where I read it, but I'm pretty sure babies just have to double their birthweight by six months, and you're well on your way to that!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Just wanted to bring this post to your attention. I had the SAME exact problem and it turned out to be fine. It is not uncommon for bf babies to gain weight rapidly from birth to 3 months and slow down quite a bit for a little while. It ended up being fine in the end and she gained almost 7 oz in a week...

Just keep doing what you are doing and feed more often if you are concerned (although that's probably not necessary). I also agree with the other mammas on here about the curve. Do not get too caught up on charts and averages... every baby is different. As long as your little one is gaining and not losing, hitting milestones, has enough wet and poop diapers, and is content... chances are, all is well. When I was 6 months, I feel totally off the charts and stayed off... I am to this day off the charts at 4' 11" and 94 pounds... and I'm totally healthy, just tiny!

When this happened and I became concerned, I took my little one for a weight check a week later to make sure she was at least still the same weight and hadn't lost anything. You can do this to help ease your mind as worries as well.

Good luck mamma... things will be fine!

Here's my post from a week ago...

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=49261
    Beautiful Bevyn born 11-7-07

Currently off of dairy, soy, wheat, egg, fish, shellfish, pork, and oats.

Thanks for the info and links to other posts.

I never was really worried about Jake's weight.... I had a feeling the peds was going to say this to me. I just wanted to check in to see if other babes were in the same area which I see some are.

Thanks again ladies! you all ROCK!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long