Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hives

Default hives

I don't know where to post this but since my son is 20 months old, I'll just do it here. For the last week I got a weird rash on my breasts. There are three patches total, they look like a cold sore, a bundle of mini blisters. They don't itch or hurt or ache. Has anyone had anything like that? I am worried because my son's face touches them when he is nursing and if it's a viral or fungal infection of some sort I suppose it will be contagious. I'll see the doctor in a couple of days but I thought I'll ask you since the fact that it is specifically on my breasts made me think.

Default Re: hives

Skin problems can occur on the nipples and breasts as they do on other parts of the body. Have you started anything new or different lately, such as creams or ointments? Deodorants, sprays or powders? Laundry detergents? Health concerns that might make you more prone to skin problems? Similar problems in other areas? How far from the nipple is the rash?
    There are many possible causes so evaluation for treatment by a doctor is a good idea.
    Mary

An update in case other people have similar issues in the future: Before I got a chance to see the doctor, the blisters on the rash are gone. Now I just have pinkish spots on my breasts starting to fade away. I am thinking they were not viral like cold sores since they didn't have fluid inside and if they were fungal I am assuming they would not be going away. Maybe an allergic reaction to something?? But why on earth are they only on my breasts? I have no idea.

Maybe it was a contact rash?

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."