Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting baby to BF to sleep?

Default Getting baby to BF to sleep?

Hi...

I have a 2 1/2 mo old "high need" baby - VERY energetic and hyperaware. At night I get her to sleep by nursing, then rocking/walking, then nursing some more til she finally gives out!

But, I have trouble getting her to nap with me after a feeding during the day. She will only nap if I rock her and will only stay asleep as long as she lies directly on my chest, and as long as I don't lie down! I want to find a way to get her to nap in the bed with me after feeding...she gets very sleepy but then amps herself back up again at the end...any suggestions on getting her to settle? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I'd like to nap w/her on the bed til she gets a bit older, then leave her in the bed while I sneak away to do chores, etc. Right now my day consists of being a living bassinet!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...!

Default Re: Getting baby to BF to sleep?

Around 2 years ago, I was where you are now! We spent about $200 on this swing- and it was some of the best money we spent on baby stuff. DD napped in that swing until she was about 1 year old, when she finally transitioned to sleeping in her stroller or her crib. Be warned- it devours D batteries! But if it works, the cost of the batteries is a small price to pay for a couple of hours of your freedom.

Have you tried side lying nursing?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Boy oh boy, I think your daughter and my son are twins! I have the same issue with him. He is nine weeks old today, VERY high energy baby, he needs CONSTANT stimulation or he gets really fussy. At night, it seems like the easiest way for me to get him to sleep is to let him breastfeed until he just konks out. And then getting him into any other place to sleep aside from curled up on my chest is a challenge. Our baby swing works once in a while, but most of the time we put him in there and twenty minutes later, he's wide awake. I've just about given up, too, and now I just let him sleep on me and I do things one-handed or I just wait until my husband comes home and can take over Kid Duty so I can work.

Everyone assures me that he will grow out of this soon! I hope so!!! But I feel your pain!

-Jen

I agree- swings are the best! I have the nature's touch swing mentioned by pp at home and the rainforest swing at work. They both work great for naps if I put in when she's sleepy and give her toys to play with so she thinks she's there to play, and before she knows it, she's out. Some swings like the rainforest one have the option for batteries or plug in cord which is nice to save on battery cost. Either way though, they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Have you tried side lying nursing?
    This usually works for me, though I have transitioned my child (also 2 1/2 months) into the crib for naps. If it doesn't work, I would invest in a good baby carrier so your LO can sleep on you while you get work done. Before my DS would sleep swaddled in his crib with a nuk, he would occasionally nod off in our baby bjorn while I was doing dishes or something. Even while vacuuming So if you can't get her down with side-lying, work with her in a carrier, it might do the trick.