Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another thrush question

Default another thrush question

When I have to take antibiotics I will always get a yeast infection. Is thrush like a yeast infection? My family has been sick, so today I thought that it was time to take them in for antibiotics. I will probably have to get some too... so do you think that because I get yeast infections from antibiotics I might get thrush too? Can you prevent this? And is what they give you expensive? Is there a cheap/ sure fire way to get ride of thrush? thanks!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Default Re: another thrush question

Thrush is yeast. I get yeast infections when taking antibiotics as well, but the doctor knows that (and when I've seen other doctors I tell them so they are aware) and they write out 2 scripts for me. One is for the antibiotic, the other is for anti-yeast meds that I start around day 3 of the antibiotic. Day 3 is usually when all the good flora is getting killed off and that's what causes the yeast/thrush.

You can also take probiotics for the duration of the antibiotics. Check health food stores for the probiotics. Also live culture yogurt (Activa is one brand off the top of my head) contains probiotics as well.

I want to add though that antibiotics may be prescribed but not needed. What exactly is your family battling that may need them? They've found that some of the things they prescribe antibiotics for, like sinus infections, that the antibiotic does nothing at all.

Make sure you absolutely have to have the antibiotic before you take it.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

well about 3 weeks ago my husband and my two boys had a sore throat... which has now turned into a fever (only a few times) and a tickle cough, it sounds dry but there is some flem in the back of the throat. I now have the sore throat and the cough. I feel like I might have a sinus thing... but its only bad at night and I am not all stuffed up like a head cold. there is alot there teehee so what I am thinking what could have been strep, might have not been treated, and is now getting into their little chest. We have been taking humibid and delsym
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Strep doesn't go anywhere, like turning into a chest cold, or anything like that.

i would rather deal with being sick than dealing with thrush anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks