Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Annoyed re: dental issues

Default Annoyed re: dental issues

This is so annoying - I just have to vent a little. After reading the thread below on cavities, I am convinced that L has cavities on his four front upper teeth. They have white spots on the bottom edge and are grey-ish in color. They looked like this almost immediately after erupting. We brought him to my dentist when I went about 2 months ago. She said his teeth look good structurally but are, indeed, stained. (She just looked in his mouth for a few seconds to reach this conclusion.)

He took trimethoprim for 3 months (from age 3 -6 months) because he had hydronephrosis. (I stopped the abx just as his first tooth was coming in on the bottom.) Reasearch online showed that tetracycline causes staining but other abx don't??? Does anyone know about other abx causing teeth staining?

Could extended pacifier use cause this? L still uses one for sleeping.

I can't seem to find a pediatric dentist here so I have to wait until we go home this summer to the U.S. and then it might be too late to do anything. :mad

I'm so tired of dealing with issues with L. Between trying to find a good carseat and deal with carseat hysteria, trying to get a good night's sleep, trying to find a way to brush his teeth without causing hysterics, trying to get this kid to eat some food, etc..., etc..., I was hoping that the stained teeth issue wouldn't be a serious one.

Okay, vent over...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Annoyed re: dental issues

Oh, Andrea, I am so with you on being tired of all the issues. I'm sorry! Amoxicillan can cause the staining, too. If taken during tooth formation. I am also waiting to be able to take Sophia to the dentist, but that's what she was on.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I know too much fluoride can cause those same symptons. Sorry, about all the frustration you are feeling. I will try to look for the link that provides that information and post it here for you.

We had so many problems brushing my youngest's teeth. Usually took two parents! One thing that helped for a while was an electric toothbrush. She thought it was hysterical AND I figured it's moving so fast that if we just get a couple of seconds in her mouth, it was doing more than a normal toothbrush.

We also let her 'do it herself' a lot. So she felt in control. Then we usually could take the toothbrush and finish off.

Finally (I don't know how old your lo is!) I told her why we brush teeth (so we don't get holes, which hurt to fill) and I showed her in my mouth how I have fillings because I didn't brush my teeth well enough when I was little. That helped actually! Wacky.

Good nights sleep, well someday I'll tell you about that! But I'm on my 6th year of not having one!!!

Take care.

hmmm.. from what I understood - teeth are already "formed" when they're born.... But I do remember something about the tetra. and doxycycline in adult teeth (As they're being formed before 8 y/o) BRB
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If it makes you feel any better, we had the same problem. As soon as my oldest child's teeth emerged, they had stains on them. We keep them as clean as we can. He is almost 5 years old now, and they are still okay. He says they don't hurt so we just hope they will stay there until his adult teeth come in. It is decay, I'm sure, but we didn't feel okay about having the trauma of dental work unless he was in pain.

This is so annoying - I just have to vent a little. After reading the thread below on cavities, I am convinced that L has cavities on his four front upper teeth. They have white spots on the bottom edge and are grey-ish in color. They looked like this almost immediately after erupting. We brought him to my dentist when I went about 2 months ago. She said his teeth look good structurally but are, indeed, stained. (She just looked in his mouth for a few seconds to reach this conclusion.)
    The white spots are normal, the greyish color is staining. I know it's annoying when doctors take a quick peek and dispense advice. But cavities are usually pretty easy to recognize, especially in baby teeth. Thank goodness he doesn't have decayed teeth, treatment for it is pretty intense for children, as crowning or extraction are the usual remedies.

He took trimethoprim for 3 months (from age 3 -6 months) because he had hydronephrosis. (I stopped the abx just as his first tooth was coming in on the bottom.) Reasearch online showed that tetracycline causes staining but other abx don't??? Does anyone know about other abx causing teeth staining?
    Typically, tetracycline will stain teeth of adults and children, regardless of tooth formation. Trimethoprim is an antibacterial, tetracycline is bacteriostatic. They are similar, but not in the same antibiotic family. Trimethoprim can make fingernails and lips slightly blue, and teeth are related developmentally to fingernail and hair. I think that your son's staining is absolutely because of the antibiotics he took, most likely this staining will not be present on his adult teeth, and even if it is, dentists can internally bleach these kinds of stains out with good results.

Could extended pacifier use cause this? L still uses one for sleeping.
    No, let him suck away...

I can't seem to find a pediatric dentist here so I have to wait until we go home this summer to the U.S. and then it might be too late to do anything. :mad
    Have him seen when you come regardless, but really, there's nothing you can do for this on baby teeth. Unless he's in pain (indicating decay), just keep up the brushing (and flossing, if he has teeth that touch) as best you can.

I'm so tired of dealing with issues with L. Between trying to find a good carseat and deal with carseat hysteria, trying to get a good night's sleep, trying to find a way to brush his teeth without causing hysterics, trying to get this kid to eat some food, etc..., etc..., I was hoping that the stained teeth issue wouldn't be a serious one.
    And given every trial you've had, this is something you can rest easier about. Keep up the good work!
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!