Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First tooth need tips from BTDT moms ^_~

Question First tooth need tips from BTDT moms ^_~

Alright ladies it is offical today at lunch I got my finger in dd2's mouth and there they are the ridges to her little tiny first tooth. According to dd1 (remember she is only 4.5yrs and very interested in bf) I have to stop bf once she bites me. I asked her why and she said it will hurt your breasts mommy and make you cry.

So, I read in my book when she bites to unlatcher her and make eye contact. When I do to tell her "No bite" and then resume bf, if she wants the breast. To offer her a teething toy to teach her what is okay to bite. If she does not take the breast when she is hungry I am to pump and offer her the milk in a cup (like I have time to pump for her feedings). The book also said at this point some babies will self wean. Other than less feedings in a day what do I need to watch for if she is self weaning?

Any other tips from BTDT moms?
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: First tooth need tips from BTDT moms ^_~

Well here is what I did. . .My LO is 11 mo. He has 8 teeth and got the first 2 around 4.5 months. He did bite me two or three times. Each time I just pulled him off and said sternly "no bite, that hurts mommy". My LO looked crushed and totally gave me the lip and everything. I just leaned him next to me and waited about a minute and put him back on. If I say his tongue move like he was going to bite; I unlatched and did the same thing. He hasn't bitten since. While sucking at least they are incapable of biting. HTH Good luck!
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Cool, I did not think she could bite while nursing, but she likes to unlatch and hum with her mouth full, make raspberries, talk....then latch back on and continue. So, it is then I need to watch for the biting.

Well I would just like to say I think there is very little chance of self weaning going on at this age. In fact the opposite will probably be more true. You will probably experience increased nursings due to the pain relief your LO gets from the oxcytocin.
    Also while teeth definitely change the relationship, and it hard to talk to new mothers about this, usually by the time you get to this point, just like any other very intimate loving relationship you are in, you are willing to work through some bumpy and rough spots. That's what teeth are. Bumpy spots in a nursing journey. I have watched you come here, really almost convinced you SHOULD quit, needing support every day to someone who can now gage her goals in multiple month increments. With more & more confidence at every turn.
    I would daresay that you are in a point in your relationship with your LO that you will work through the bumps that my show up. There will be some need to readjust the latch based on some grazing that will go on, and eventually, you will get bit. More than once probably. How hard or how often will affect your relationship. But being firm and consistent will show your LO not to bite. HTH and good luck.

Way too lazy for formula

As far as your book talking about self weaning - that's highly unlikely. However her biting and then your reaction (example - loud yelp/scream) could cause a strike. I've been bitten by my LO a number of times, and the first time I didn't react the best and it scared her. Thankfully she latched back on after I calmed her. But it could have caused a strike. Definately not self weaning though! And she does just as Shelly (DJ's Mom) said and nursed more frequently for the pain relief.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Thanks ladies I feel better talking to ya'all after reading the book last night. I am not at a point to give up. I want to prove to myself I can do this and show my family ...LOL

I love every roll on her because my milk made them...